SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Frac

This is the 3rd scope that I owned back around 1987. Although it was branded as a Bresser, it's actually a Vixen SP102M with the early Skysensor GOTO unit controlling the Super Polaris mount. I started out with the .965" eyepieces that Vixens were supplied with back then before upgrading to 1.25" in the form of Tele Vue plossls. The matt black colour scheme for the tube wasn't very practical because it showed every finger print !

Overall it was a very nice scope though and I was very proud of it :smiley:

post-118-0-51010100-1449766176_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

As of yesterday I was the very happy owner of this:post-37135-0-27096000-1450212450.jpg

Was hoping to take a shot with it next to my "stealth" ST150 but I need to get the right bolts for the dovetail plate before I can fit it.

The 127L is a beast - it seems as though it's beautifully made. Really stirs the soul to look at it! Thank you to Chris for the trade. But not for the days of overcast weather that have come with it....

Paul

• Like 7

When i looked at the first "taster" image i though "lots of glass in there" then the clearly TAL focuser and guessed 125 .....good luck with this, i look forward to your first light report

I've a Bresser 152mm on loan. It's a Petzval with good views to the edge of the eyepiece. After some time with a reflector, the diamonds on velvet stars are wonderful. You just gotta see stuff like Sagittarius the double cluster with this. Here's hoping its owner loses interest and...

post-48401-0-80295200-1450569587.jpg

post-48401-0-66988900-1450569958_thumb.j

• Like 9

Hi Chris,  its Phil.  We have met and swapped a few items.   Yes the Lunt 152 is a true beast of a scope.  Fantastic for detail but useless as a grab and go.  Hence I got the LS60 as well for portable solar observations.  The EQ8 is one of the few mounts that can comfortably carry the two scopes at once.    If you are ever down this way in the new year drop us a line via email and pop over and see the dome.

Well the main difference is that the Lunt is a dedicated H alpha solar scope.  So one scope for daytime viewing and one side for night time.

Ah, OK got it. My telescope came with warnings NOT to look at the sun. I can see I've a long way to go with this astro thing!

Ah, OK got it. My telescope came with warnings NOT to look at the sun. I can see I've a long way to go with this astro thing!

These specialst solar scopes are equipped with all sorts of high tech filters which produce safe views in the hydrogen alpha wavelength of light. They can only be used to view the Sun and nothing else. Here are the details of the Lunt 152 in case you are interested :smiley:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/lunt-152mm-h-alpha-ota-b1800-bf-feather-t-p-tuner.html

And here is the other scope thats in that photo:

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/telescopes/refracting-telescopes-ota/apochromates/apm-lzos-telescope-apo-refractor-152-1200-lw-photo

It can be an expensive hobby but they are marvellous scopes :smiley:

• Like 1

Hi Chris,  its Phil.  We have met and swapped a few items.   Yes the Lunt 152 is a true beast of a scope.  Fantastic for detail but useless as a grab and go.  Hence I got the LS60 as well for portable solar observations.  The EQ8 is one of the few mounts that can comfortably carry the two scopes at once.    If you are ever down this way in the new year drop us a line via email and pop over and see the dome.

Hey Phil, good to hear from you buddy :) What an amazing setup you have there! Cheers for the offer, I'll have to find an excuse to go down the A12 so I can come and have a look, especially if it's sunny so I can look through that monster Lunt of yours :)

• Like 1

Hey Phil, good to hear from you buddy :) What an amazing setup you have there! Cheers for the offer, I'll have to find an excuse to go down the A12 so I can come and have a look, especially if it's sunny so I can look through that monster Lunt of yours :)

I urge you to find that excuse!