SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I don't know what I need !

I wonder if I could pose a really basic question ?

I want to take photos  of the moon / planets through my newly acquired Celestron evo 8"

So I've been doing a bit of reading , and asking around , and am confused 

I think I can just attach a webcam and take video footage , then stack it to good results ??? 

But I also see Celestron doing a Skyris Planetary Camera using CCD technology for a lot more cash

So I guess my question is , if I can get a webcam for not much , why would I want a Sykris for loads more ?

What extra am I doing to get - ? better images , easier to use , can I use it for anything else ????

Appreciate the input 

Padawan

Just go get a reasonable webcam, remove the lens and reassemble with the filter still in.

Use that in the focuser, no eyepiece and go get a video. Then as you say stack the goo frames in one of the software packages for .avi files.

You may find a 2x barlow (good one) will help, planets and the moon are bright so can be increased in size.

From what i have read on this forum, there are three ways to get good images.

decent modified webcam ( cheapest possible option )

colour CCD astrocam (2nd cheapest option )

mono CCD astrocam + LRBG colour wheel ( can get very expensive depending on quality of filters and manual vs. motorized wheel )

all three are dependant on the scope, ( columation, alignment ) Seeing ( turblance, LP ) and mount ( tracking, vibrations )

please feel free to correct any of this, but this is just what i have picked up on reading threads and looking at other web resorces

be kind if im way off

thank you

i know my previous post did not answer your question, but it all depends on what final product you want.  if you want amazing, crisp, awe inspiring photos it would have to be the Mono camera and LRGB filters. to get the best possible chance of a pristine photo.

A cheap webcam is a good way to start from the point of view of cost and helping you to decide if you really enjoy imaging before you get hooked into very expensive kit.

It will also allow you to start 'learning' how to use the various softwares to both capture and process your captures. 

The downside is that if you get hooked you will most certainly start wanting more serious and expensive kit.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

"if you want amazing, crisp, awe inspiring photos it would have to be the Mono camera and LRGB filters. to get the best possible chance of a pristine photo."

If I am honest this answers the question for me .... 

In the past I've done the amateur photography "thing" and for me the image is everything .... if I bought a webcam and was disappointed with the image i'd be upgrading. 

So , unless I've got it wrong , the considered opinion is ..... mono CCD and filters is the way to go if quality is the aim , though gunna have to pay for it 

Dave .... can you give a steer regarding your comment on cheaper cameras with the same sensor  ??

Thanks for the input 

Padawan

In the past I've done the amateur photography "thing" and for me the image is everything ....

Hi,

in this case you probably have a DSLR. Get a T-ring and adapter and use this for imaging. You can use it in video mode or take multiple frames in full resolution and stack with registax. Only thing to consider with a reflector though is, whether you can achieve focus - depending on the scope and others might be more qualified to answer this.

Good luck and clear skies

HJ

As I believe your scope is on an Alt / Az mount then you'll be best off imaging Solar System objects with some sort of CCD / CMOS  camera, CCDs like the Skyris 618 are pretty expensive, I believe the QHY IMG OH has the same sensor for £50.00 less but I don't think it's USB3 like the Skyris.

There are a few very capable CMOS cameras available from the QHY5-11 around £200.00 but only 8bit, QHY IMG132 12bit £250.00, ZWO ASI120M £275.00.

So depending how much you are planning on spending the Skyris is a fast USB3 camera which you need a fast USB3 laptop to use with it, a good thing in Alt / Az as the faster you can capture the better.

If you get a mono camera you may need filters and a filter wheel to capture colour images so more expense, though you can false colour gray images in Photoshop, or most of the cameras come in a colour version which capture colour in one go as opposed to needing to capture the same video three times in quick succession.The Moon is fine in mono and a good place to start.

So first you need some sort of budget to aquire the standard of images you expect then go from there.

Dave

Here's a really poor image of Saturn captured this week using a 10"SCT and Canon 60Da in 640X480 crop video mode the main reason for the poor image is because it was taken at a relatively low altitude through the atmosphere. 

post-21198-0-35248500-1432904927.png

I'm going through the same thing as you right now. I've just got my Evo 9.25 and I'm wanting to get into astrophotography, I'm most likely going to go for the Skyris at a later date (or ask the astrophotographers on the relevant thread for other suggestions) when the time comes. In the meantime I've gone with the hyperion EPs that allow you to attach a DSLR directly on to the EP its self as a much cheaper 'in the meantime' option :) 

I cannot say for the quality for such an endeavour however it's a great stop-gap for me (when the clouds part). Obviously the lenses aren't essential as you can attach a DSLR without these lenses

Clear skies. 

Dave , thats great advice . Thanks a lot .

Especially wrt the other options which will certainly need a look at !

Sonic , I'd be interested to know how you get on with that setup

Archived