Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Unknown Satellite

BWBlackett

It seemed to go from Saturn straight overhead to Cassiopeia (i.e. South to North) from my location near Blackpool.

Just past being overhead it seemed to flare up in brightness quite considerably for a few seconds This was at around 21.38.

My first thought was an Iridium Flare but I've checked Heavens above but can't see any suitable candidates.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Brian.

Thanks Trev

The track looks exactly like waht I saw.

How did you manage to find out which Satellite it was? How can I do it in the future ?

Brian.

You're welcome Brian.

I went to Heavens Above, set my location to Blackpool, then clicked the mag 3.5 link under "Daily predictions for all satellites brighter than magnitude". That shows upcoming passes of satellites. At the top of the page are links to "Prev PM" and "Prev AM" that let you jump back in time to the correct date range, then scan down the results until you spot one at the right time and direction. The name links to the satellite info and the time links to the star chart.

Trev

Archived