Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show Us Your Dob.....

Hi, Welcome to SGL :) Nice scope but that ain't no Dob, You'll upset the dob squad, he he :D;)

There is a SHOW ME YOUR NEWT thread running at the moment started by Laserjock, plus the SHOW ME YOUR FRAC thread started by myself, so it would be good if you could post it on the Newt thread maybe? :)

Welcome aboard! :)

p.s. Almost forgot the SHOW ME YOUR MAK thread!

...yes you don't want to upset us we go to dark skies and camp rough with a trowel!!
  • Like 3

[emoji57] oops sorry if I offended

I just a apprentice star watcher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no offence :) I just wanted to point you towards the proper scope, erm, other scope threads  :grin:  (I'm only jealous because I don't have a Dob ;) )

• Like 1

Sadly  I do now as normal viewing is likely to be a thing of the past for me soon.

Oh I'm sorry.

For imaging purposes you'll be wanting either a newt, or an old sewer pipe with glass stuck in the end  a refractor mounted on an EQ. The key I'm afraid is the EQ mount. This bane of visual observing is unfortunately needed to allow for the long exposures required for astro imaging. :)

• Like 3

No need to say sorry Swamp Thing I am not offended.  I have only ever had a Newtonian or a refractor.  Unless I can get one that has a great light capture for the immediate future  I am shafted.  A dob would do that, but I don't have the money for a half decent imaging scope as well.  I was hoping I could combine the two. That way I could sit safe and warm in a brightly lit room staring at the computer from a range of 2 inches while the scope did the work outside.

• Like 2

Oh I'm sorry.

For imaging purposes you'll be wanting either a newt, or an old sewer pipe with glass stuck in the end  a refractor mounted on an EQ. The key I'm afraid is the EQ mount. This bane of visual observing is unfortunately needed to allow for the long exposures required for astro imaging. :)

blummin eck.... Swamp Thing giving imaging advice  :eek:  :eek:

He'll be advising on planetary imaging next :D

• Like 4

FLO will quote you.....

I want to try exo-planet imaging,  now where can I buy a Webb Space telescope for a fiver and a pack of hobnobs

There is this and although its not a Newt it would have to be Dob mounted if you wanted it on your patio http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/hubble-cassegrain-reflector-telescope.html

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

Just saw this and noticed 2 things wrong:

1/ He is observing during the day

2/ If he is observing the Sun, there are no safety filters in place. 

I can only assume that he is bird watching.

He was cloud watching, same as the rest of us Paul :D

Actually, I asked him to stand by the scope because a friend wanted an idea how big the thing was. :)

You are right to point out that proper solar filters are required if you intend to view the sun. In this case, we made very certain to point the telescope in a safe direction and I have tought Matty about safe solar viewing. We normally use a small refractor for that.

Love these scopes. Mine is the Celestron version. Picked a few up on Amazon for $20 each a few years back. Of course had to replace the plastic eyepieces with glass plossls before pointing it at the Sun. Much better than those Galileoscopes.

I think they're great. Definately the best way to geta youngster started with a cheap real telescope. Much better than anything else in this sort of price range.

Mine's a Skyliner 200p and we all know what they look like so I haven't bothered to post a photo, besides the little heritage is much prettier and more interesting to look at. Also it's one of an elite group of dobs that are educational to look at as well as look through.

• Like 2

Hi there!

That looks like. Some awesome stargazing equipment! Did u make that? I love the sky. What can u tell me about my birth date? Oct. 26 1970. Please reply. I'm interested and fascinated.

Hi there!

That looks like. Some awesome stargazing equipment! Did u make that? I love the sky. What can u tell me about my birth date? Oct. 26 1970. Please reply. I'm interested and fascinated.

your birth date means you are 45 and you will be 46 on october 26th :smiley:

• Like 8

Hey deepspacehunter! Thanx for replying. Yeah u could say my mob protects me. I'm trying to learn about satellites. Personal interest of mine.the kind that puts people to sleep. Its a technique. Some Canadians are really sensitive and we love our sleep. Also interested in musical ones. Trying to figure out how music reverberates. Time to visit a radio station. Lol. When u look up to the sky, what r u thinking? Temp.

• Like 1