Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show Us Your Dob.....

12 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

Now the new lucky owner of this beautiful scope 

10F9FB38-0364-48E7-A171-0E095F6C8335.jpeg

83B7CB13-7C7B-4219-8EBC-9AAF18207E60.jpeg

I've just noticed those "finder shoe rails". Do they allow you to slide the shoe back and forth to your preferred position? If they do that's a brilliant idea. I wish I'd thought of that before drilling permanent holes in my dob! 

Edit: On closer inspection it looks like the screws aren't in the right place for that. :(

Edited by Ricochet

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark, I finished the Dob build a week ago when the Nexus DSC arrived,  Lots of planning and lots of work but I am really pleased with the end result.

I can sit down to view even at zenith, the scope is an 18" F3.54 so a focal length of 1618mm or 63.7"  (Effective focal length with the SIPS in place is 1860mm)

The brass scope has travelled a lot in its lifetime, it began life in London (probably at Watson & Sons) but is labelled Berry&Mackay Aberdeen) and perhaps belongs in a museum back in Scotland.

Berry and Mackay, was a business in Marichal St Aberdeen and this scope dates from c1890...

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 3

My previous Dob was an 18" F5.6 which meant climbing a ladder for the views at least 50% of the time.  This time I wanted a sit down scope so that I can study objects at length.

Yes, we are lucky that we have the best part of the night sky directly overhead here, Omega Cent is an easy naked eye sight and at the moment the planets are also almost directly overhead. 

I recently spent a few hours with my friend's 32" F3.3 so have to temper my expectations with the 18" but  still it is going to be a great joy for years to come.

I will be taking it to the Mount Stromlo Observatory each month for our outreach. Last month we had 1800 visitors for the evening....  

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Sporadic Dobstronomer said:

Not unreasonable!

Can you tell me what the blue things at the back are?

Nice scope. 

Guessing here but they look like flip over mirror transport clips.

Nice carbon fibre was this bought and cut or self made? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sporadic Dobstronomer said:

Not unreasonable!

Can you tell me what the blue things at the back are?

3 hours ago, mapstar said:

Nice scope. 

Guessing here but they look like flip over mirror transport clips.

Nice carbon fibre was this bought and cut or self made? 

Thanks,

The blue things are anodised aluminium computer cooling system clamps  that go around the linear bearings that are at each end of the two 90º s/s wire slings.

The carbon/kevlar sheet was made for me by ProTech in USA, the truss poles are JTW100 paddle shafts from ExelComposites and the focuser board is 3mm sheet from China, cut and drilled my me.

Here is a picture of the linear bearings being assembled: The linear bearings first have heat shrink tubing over them, then the clamps which hold swaged 2mm pre stretched stainless steel wire.

There is a 10mm polished stainless shaft in the four corners of the mirror cell and the two slings run from diagonally opposite corners, crossing under the mirror. 

The slings run between two strips of self adhesive velcro at 19.5mm from the back of the mirror (at the COG). I also fitted heat shrink tubing over the wires where they contact the mirror. 

MIS_5630.jpg

MIS_5730.jpg

Edited by Rainmaker
added pics
  • Like 1

On 26/05/2015 at 18:53, deepspacehunter said:

My 12" DOB...... my favorite Telescope EVER.....

Markpost-15801-0-46997100-1432684326_thumb.j

This is a great Dob which just as i was getting ready to buy one Celestron quit production on them and what was left on the market sold like pancakes ! Since then i have not as much as seen on for sale new or used anywhere ! Now at the moment i cant afford one and I’m in the process of retiring from most astro work except keeping up with what’s going on here .

16 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Thanks,

The blue things are anodised aluminium computer cooling system clamps  that go around the linear bearings that are at each end of the two 90º s/s wire slings.

The carbon/kevlar sheet was made for me by ProTech in USA, the truss poles are JTW100 paddle shafts from ExelComposites and the focuser board is 3mm sheet from China, cut and drilled my me.

Here is a picture of the linear bearings being assembled: The linear bearings first have heat shrink tubing over them, then the clamps which hold swaged 2mm pre stretched stainless steel wire.

There is a 10mm polished stainless shaft in the four corners of the mirror cell and the two slings run from diagonally opposite corners, crossing under the mirror. 

The slings run between two strips of self adhesive velcro at 19.5mm from the back of the mirror (at the COG). I also fitted heat shrink tubing over the wires where they contact the mirror. 

Cheers for the explanation on the Carbon fibre.

I can also see the slings now you've pointed them out as I'd missed them before. I have seen the linear bearing update on the K and B cell before.

• 2 weeks later...