Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Yet Another First Saturn Pic

Haha, sorry for the addition of yet another first Saturn pic thread.  But this is my first decent go at prime focus and the scope/mount I have definitely isn't optimal for this haha.  Any ways, my scope an Orion 8" Dobsonian (I think the model is XT), with a 3x Barlow lens, and the camera I used is a Nikon D3300 (with t-ring adapter of course).  

This is just a single frame with no post processing whatsoever.  That's the part I still have to learn.... I tried stacking some other photos in lightroom and with DeepSkyStacker but it didn't seem to make any difference.  I think that's because I don't know how to use those apps yet though lol.

Next time I'll have to use the video function on the camera and take some video and stack those frames using whatever that app is to stack the individual frames and see how that works.  It's amazing how damn fast Saturn tracks across the view of the eye piece at only 144x magnification.  I've gotten pretty good at nudging my scope over to keep it in frame though lol.  

post-44247-0-07636600-1432671171_thumb.j

Here's one from tonight, seeing wasn't quite a good as the other night, but still pretty good.  This image is from stacking about a 1 minute video (all I could manage for keeping Saturn in the scope before having to move lol).  Any ways, I used Autostakkert to convert from .mov to .AVI, castrator to center the video, and registrax to stack em.  I just used all the default settings.  All I did was increase the contrast a bit after it was stacked.  I think I can just barrrrrrrrrrrrrrely make out the Cassini division, I dunno maybe I'm making it up lol.  

Final-Stacked.bmp

That's pretty good. I was concerned at first that the image was so small until I scrolled back up and saw you were using a DSLR. You're going to be hankering after a webcam or planetary cam soon :)

The important thing is you got that critter and you got 'im good. Nice one :)

Hi,

Nice pics. Do you have movie crop mode on the Nikon? Saves having to crop if you do. Also, try using PIPP to convert and sort your video frames, you can also crop in that. After that I use astro stakkert to stack and registrax for its wavelets. I found that moving the bottom wavelet slider all the way to right really added detail and sharpness.

Well done, Tim. 

Archived