Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help for beginning astrophotography

Hi again!

As I already said in a previous topic I'm willing to start astrophotography... but since all the equipment is quite expensive I'm worried about doing unwise purchases.

First: having a fastar compatible scope I'm trying to figure if I should spend the money for the HyperStar lens and for a faster compatible camera (atik 4 series) or if I should simply buy a setup composed by wedge + reducer + camera (attic titan which is less expensive than te 4 series). What scares me about the HyperStars lens is the price (almost a thousand $) and the possible import duty (the company producing the hyperstar lens is in the USA)... but from what I know having a f/2 scope is terrific for astrophotography. But still... being a total noob is it worthy?

The second point is the type of camera... mono or color? I know that with the mono I need more shots using filters to achieve colourful photos but I would be able to do spectrometry and photometry as well (albeit I'm not sure I'd do such things, at least in the near future) whereas color cameras are easier to setup. What would be the best choice for a beginner?

Thanks for your help! 

From what I understand of imaging at F2 it ain't for beginners!

The sweet of for focusing at f2 is tiny.

Colour isn't really any easier than mono and if you want to do narrowband you are really crippling the camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First I'll repeat what everybody say, get yourself a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards, our own steppenwolf, here:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Secondly forget about Hyperstar / Faststar at this stage, also forget about wedges, neither are beginner-friendly. There's a reason you'll see people recommending a 80 mm ED doublet or triplet on a HEQ5 or equivalent, they just plain *work*, and will save you a world of pain.

First I'll repeat what everybody say, get yourself a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards, our own steppenwolf, here:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Secondly forget about Hyperstar / Faststar at this stage, also forget about wedges, neither are beginner-friendly. There's a reason you'll see people recommending a 80 mm ED doublet or triplet on a HEQ5 or equivalent, they just plain *work*, and will save you a world of pain.

I second Dave's comments. I've been using a modified DSLR with an 80ED on an HEQ5 PR0 for years, it's a really sweet combination.  If you go to a star party it's the single most common imaging rig you'll see.

If you choose to go down the DSLR route I would also recommend Jerry Lodriguss's superb DVDs

http://www.astropix.com/

I have never used a CCD, but I know many say they wish they had gone straight to CCDs. (I don't have the funds).

I couldn't afford a CCD until I moved house and got some spare money out of it. Going CCD was the single biggest jump in my imaging, more even than guiding (Which I started back when i was using a DSLR).

I think mono is the way to go (Forgetting hyperstar) as it is faster in LRGB than OSC and will open up the world of NB and being able to cut through LP and even some moonlight.

Archived