Hello

Astrobuff

Hi, just wanted to write a quick note to say hello to everyone. I have been a follower of various tips/DIY threads for about 3 years, but never registered until now. Looking forward to some good discussions.  I hope to both add to and take away from the collective expertise here.

A little about me... originally from dark-sky Newfoundland, now living in a moderately light-polluted village a few dozen miles from Barcelona. Proud nerd/geek/DIY-tinkerer. Professionally, I am a reflection seismologist (plate tectonics/physical oceanographic research).

I love a nice quiet night at the scope. I equally love a good session with BackyardEOS/Nebulosity/Lightroom/Photoshop. I love Linux too! I was an avid star gazer in my teens with a (secretly mail-ordered (pre-internet!) - so my parents wouldn't find out I spent so much!) Celestron C4.5 reflector... now, regretably long-sold. I have always been into the hobby, but several decades passed where I was mostly armchair and naked-eye with a few half-assed attempts at star trails. Got back into serious observing with the CGEM in 2012. I like Celestron, yes, but I still have my beefs with them. In my village I have organized informal star gazing events for the general public, where I lecture in a blend of heavily accented Catalan and Spanish, depending with whom I'm talking.

I have been an SLR phototographer since about 1998 (DSLR since 2010). I love any experiment with long exposures. Love macro too. Got into AP with a vengeance after I got the CGEM in 2012, but I still got a lot to learn (most recently, guiding hassles!). Between family, work, acoustic folk/rock guitar and scope, time's limited, but the learning curve has not been, in fact, so steep (complimentary interests, I guess). Rather, it has been a slow, plodding, shallow, climb. I'm an avid reader of anything Carl Sagan, Neil Degrasse or Phil Plait, among many, many others... Would love to be able to increase the proportion of astronomy in my life/work balance.

Best regards to all and clear skies!
Grant George Buffett (AstroBuff)

Hi Grant and welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that you are getting your head around the challenges of astrophotography or the "Dark Side" as we affectionately like to call it. Keep up the good work, don't hesitate to ask questions in the relevant sections and look forward to seeing your images as and when they arrive in due course.

Wishing you clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

hi Grant,

Warm welcome to SGL. Hope you enjoy the forums, you are well on your way to the dark side :grin: ..

Join the forum, plenty of us geeks, anything about seismology, vulcanology and oceanography gets my attention.

Archived