Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AP DSLR

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a DSLR for AP. I'm not likely to use it for much else as I'm not really a terrestrial photographer. I'm looking at a Canon with the IR filter removed but don't really know where I should be looking to get one. Has anyone used a supplier/modifier of Canon DSLR's that they would either recommend or avoid like the plague??

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance...

Canons are probably the most suitable models for AP as they are relatively easy to modify, there is some high-quality 3rd-party control software available (APT and BYE) and are compatible with old M42 lenses when using a cheap adaptor. I also had my 1100D modified by Cheap Astrophotography and would be happy to recommend them.

For AP there may not be much to choose between the entry level and slightly out-of-date models and more expensive ones. I've heard good things about the 1100D and 600D but it's difficult to get really solid information. The latter has a flip out screen which can be handy for focussing or reviewing images when the camera is hanging at an odd angle.

Have you thought about what kind of imaging you want to do, widefield or using a 'scope?

+1 for Cheap Astrophotography.

I also brought a new modded 600D a year ago and not long ago sent it back and had the full modification done on it for IR photography too, works brilliantly :)

Fast turnaround and great communication, I have no problem recommending them.

Thanks guys. Just had a look at the website. The guy seems to know what he's about which is good to know.

What about Astronomiser? Does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks guys. Just had a look at the website. The guy seems to know what he's about which is good to know.

What about Astronomiser? Does anyone know anything about them?

They are also very good and highly recpommended

Quite a few people on SGL have modified their own cameras successfully (although you would have to accept the risk something might go wrong!).

I bought a s/h Canon 40D for £100 (or you could get something like this that would still work with an intervalometer) and self modified using one of these online tutorials:

http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials

Took me about 40 minutes, so if you're handy with a screwdriver & tweezers it's worth thinking about.

Here's one of my very first images with the modded 40D- I'm happy with my £100 astro camera!

Horsehead & Flame- 3x300s, 12" F4 scope Canon 40D modded @ ISO1600 

IMG_0037_stack_noflat_levels_noels_1024_

WOW!!! Lovely pic Laser_Jock! I'd love to be able to get something like that!

Thanks everyone for your advice and tips. It seems I can't go too far wrong using either Juan or Andy so I guess I'll just have to see which takes my fancy when the time comes.

I've got an unmodified 1000d and its very good so far, I can only get unguided pics but still works very well also there are apps available to allow your phone to act as the camera screen and control all functions so no need for a flip out screen really.

That's all I have to offer.

Archived