Newbie - advice needed

bowshank

Hi all, i've just bought my first telescope after wanting to explore the skies for years. I got myself a Skywatcher 130m after reading some really good reviews. I have set it up but having issues when using the Barlow lens. I can see the moon in great detail using the supplied 10mm and 25mm lenses, but when either is used with the Barlow, I get a very small image. I'd read reviews and seen example pics of the planets you can see using this telescope, but I can't seem to get these results. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 

Hi Bowshank,

Warm welcome to SGL, I am afraid you need to get used to small images when observing and not the hubble like images that you see and the images that the folk on here take and share.

To give you some idea of what you see try here :---  http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm ... Remember to click on the visual view button. Just plug your scope data in.

There is a local group close to you :-- http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/ and they meet regularly. I am also in north notts.

Hi Bowshank and welcome to SGL, your Barlow is meant to increase the magnification of the eyepiece by the stated power rating of the optic. If you are seeing a very much reduced image size, then it could be deduced that your Barlow may be at fault. However, excessive magnification, extending far beyond the maximum rating for the scope, will produce something  of a bright blurred image, in general it is best keep magnifications down below x200, except in perfect seeing conditions.

The published images of the Planets taken using this scope is the result of long exposures with a camera and painstaking work on the resulting stacked images. Your eye is unable to resolve such minute detail by just looking through the eyepiece, but with perseverance and practise, although the image may appear to be small, an amazing amount of detail should begin to be revealed, especially on good nights of excellent seeing. Enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :)

Archived