Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Winterfest star party Kelling Heath 12 to 15 November 2015

Birmingham Astronomical Society is organising a Star Party at Kelling Heath on the 12th to 15th of November 2015. This is a new venture for us and would appreciate any advice and comments so we can make this a success. We're hoping this will be the first of a regular annual event.

Steve 'steveplanetsax' Woodfield

I like the idea of Winterfest because it's a great way of extending the star party season. If I went I would be camping in a tent so I would have a close eye on the weather conditions. I wouldn't mind it being cold but if it was forecast for wind and rain I would carefully consider whether to take on the journey, so I would likely hold off from booking a pitch until quite close to the date of the event. I noticed that there are 50 provisional pitches but if they were to be all booked would Kelling make more pitches available for any short notice bookings?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi folks,

It appears we have 40 booked at the moment, plus a few booked into chalet's. Hopefully we will get a couple of clear nights. We plan to speak to Kelling to arrange for next years event once we have sorted out dates available and the new moon. With less than a month to go, I'm looking forward to seeing you all there, don't forget the thermals.

Steve Woodfield, Birmingham Astronomical Society.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When i returned from Norwich on the Friday I found my scope lying on its side.

Initially we thought it had blown over in the wind but it was lying upwind.

So it looks like some good Samaritan laid it down for me as there was absolutely no damage to it - I've just done a star test with it and the collimation is fine.

If you know who laid my scope down (A Celestron C8 on pitch 309) then let them know I owe them a beer at the Spring or Autumn star party next year :-)

David

Here is a summary of my first time at Kelling. It's a great site with wonderful facilities and I just loved all the surround woodland, wildlife (including the captive red squires) and Heathland. The near seaside town of Sheringham is very charming with the steam railway and well worth a visit.

I arrived on the Weds, the day before the official start. Weds - clear from  midnight to sunrise but the wind was quite gusty at times and quite a bit of moisture in the air. Most people turned on the Thursday and I think there were about 50 pitches which were sold, there were also some people staying at the holiday huts. Thursday night was cloudy but it did clear  about 300 am to sunrise. Friday night was beautifully clear from 6pm to 2.30 am with little moisture in the air but the wind was gusting up to 35 mph. Some people left early on Saturday morning because of the weather forecast. The remains of hurricane Abigail came through on Saturday afternoon and night with high winds. Two scopes got blown over (luckily not mine) and one poor persons tent partly collapsed when one of the poles broke in the high winds. Saturday night saw quite a few of us in the bar having a good old natter. 

I managed to take this image of the centre of the Heart nebula on the Friday night in the gusting wind! It's 15 x 600 sec exposures taken with an SX M25C through a SW MN190 on and EQ8.

post-2076-0-72058900-1448632819_thumb.jp

Archived