Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hi! I shot this during six diffrent nights in March and April. I had to throw lots of subs out the window due to high clouds but I managed to pull off 13 hours of good quality data from those nights.
SkyWatcher Esprit 100mm f/5.5, ZWO ASI1600MM-C, SkyWatcher EQ6 guided with ASI224MC, TS Optics LRGB and Baader narrowband filters.
Ha 60x300s, OIII 32x300s, SII 53x300s, R/G/B 10x120s. Total integration time is ~13 hours.
Larger image can be seen on my blog. www.evenfall.space/post/the-elephant-s-trunk-nebula
This is one of the first targets I shot and was happy with since the beginning of my astrophotography journey
Almost 4 years later, I decided to shoot again this nebula, this time with better gear and traveling to darks skies for most of the data.
Even though it resembles the old image's colours, this new one is more accurate from the real colours point of view.
Most of this nebula is made of ionized gases which emit light at certain wavelengths. Most of the emission of the hydrogen comes out as deep red, whilst oxigen emits a blue-green light mostly.
But, besides the emissions in this area, the region here contains also dark nebulae (dust blocking the light behind) and reflection nebulae (easily visible at the trunk's tip).
Named by its appearance in visible light as Elephant trunk, it is also described by many as a lady with long hair seen from the back.
This whole region spawns over more than 3 degrees on the sky at over 3000 light years away. In comparison, the moon seems only 0.5 degrees wide.
Another star in this show (pun intended) is Herschel's Garnet star, or Mu Cephei, the brightest star in the image. It's about 100000 times brighter than our sun and it's also one of the largest known stars. Its radius is larger than the orbit of Jupiter around our Sun.
I started capturing data for this image early this year and ended this summer. I shot 2 panels in order to capture the whole area and I exposed more than 40h in total. I've been quite inactive lately unfortunately.
You can watch the image at full resolution on astrobin or on Flicker.
And the old image here.
This has been my project since the start of this season and now I think I´ll just leave it... for now 😉
I started last season (with a longer FL) but didn´t like how my Baader O3 filter matched the Astrodon Ha filter, so now I had to get a 3nm O3 as well.
This is a total of:
60*5 minutes of 3nm Ha
114*5 minutes of 3nm O3.
Shot with a ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool and a Canon 300/4L IS tele lens. The lens suffers from bad star shapes in the corners but I managed to get it decent anyway. Didn´t want to stop it down from f/4 either.
Combined as a semi-RGB (or what to call it) from R=Ha, G=70%O3+30%Ha, B=O3. Processed it as LRGB using a combined Lum from 60% Ha L and 40% O3 L.
I am really happy that I finally feel satisfied with a target! Usually I just get restless and move on when half of the data is collected.
Hope you like it!
I shot this over 6 nights. We had an amazing go of clear nights in a row. Now it's all rain until next week. But while it was clear, I managed two nights per filter on my newest scope. A total of ~ 760 3 min images. I think the total imaging time was 37.8 hours. Shot it through my newest scope the RedCat 51mm. It did well, but could have used a belt focuser. I managed to get one together from Moonlite, but only just after imaging this. The scope was able to hold focus a good bit of the night, but the quality curve looked like a swan dive towards the end as the scope lost focus at the end of the night each night. I got out my old trusty AVX to manage the aiming parts of the setup. Guided by an old Orion SSAG I had lying around and a recently acquired ZWO Mini guide scope since it matches the RedCat so well. But I think I'm going to need to swap out the guide cam for something with smaller pixels. Overall though, it worked. Main camera was ZWO ASI 1600 MMC. I used 5nm Astrodon filters.