sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

First light on modified Canon 1100d

Ok so here is my first light with my recently modified Canon 1100d.

Some background first. From a previous thread I asked for ideas on how to best test the cameras extra IR sensitivity.
It came down to IC1396 which has the Elephant’s Trunk nebula located within it.

Due to my location I fitted a basic Sky Watcher LP filter to the imaging train.
This is a visual filter so not designed for this sort of task but after taking some test shots it looked ok.
I will be looking to purchase an Astronomik CLS Clip filter soon…
Started imaging at around 11pm as it had only just risen above a roof, its elevation was around 31 degrees so not great.
Took 10 subs at 240secs and with an ISO of 800. I could see the subs getting better each time in that the Histogram was getting stronger to the left.
Finished off with IC1396 being around 37 degrees.

Whilst I was in the area I had a quick go at the open cluster M52 as well.
Only six subs of 120secs for this but a couple of things struck me. At first I thought I had some hot pixels in the subs. After stacking the nebulosity was even greater. After running a Plate solver on the image it turns out that Bubble Nebula and NGC7538 had photo bombed the image too!
Definitely recommend having a look at M52 as open clusters are not normally something I am very interested in but with the WO STAR 71 it seems to bring a lot of other items to the image which makes them more dynamic, well at least in my mind it does!

All in all I am pleased with the results. Not quite as much nebulosity as I was expecting but more on that below and nowhere near the level of some of the other examples on the SGL forum.

Firstly the camera is now acting like a star hoover! :grin:  I don’t think I have ever had as many stars in a single image.
IC1396 is vast and to be honest I didn’t really know where the Elephant Trunk was located so I just lined up Mu-Cephei (Garnet Star) in the centre and started imaging. Have to add that I am loving Live-View, it’s so much easier to switch on in Backyard EOS and move the scope in real-time rather than my previous routine of press the controller X amount of times in a certain direction and take a quick image to see if has moved to where I want!

It took me sometime to identify where the Elephant Trunk, so wide is the field of view of the WO Star 71. Clearly it is not visible (it’s right next to the Mu-Cephei) however there is other nebulosity and dark lanes within the image.
The post processing was done pretty quickly so I will rework this soon (went to bed at 2am so you have to forgive me!)
I wonder if I could have increased the ISO, perhaps the LP filter is taking detail away? Certainly more subs would have helped and the elevation in a Light polluted sky did not help. I tried a 10min image and let’s just say the results were not pretty…
Enough waffling. If anymore has any tips, suggestions or comments then that would be great.

IC1396 is on the left and M52 is on the right.

post-31255-0-02783500-1432198630_thumb.j

post-31255-0-40229900-1432198671_thumb.j

Edited by Droogie 2001
  • Like 4

Are yes I see it now! That's annoying I moved the scope to the left, clearly I should have left it where it was...Never mind it was only really a test.

But yes I was expecting a bit more red but with all of the factors like the visual LP filter and number of subs felt this maybe the reason. I am sure I switched the camera to the correct settings, though will check again tonight.

it's a good start, IC1396 is fairly faint.

This is it I did a few nights a go.

I did 5minute subs at f/2.8 with a Canon EF 200mm L lens

Excuse the processing as it was quite low down and I'm not going to bother to much with it.

This is 14 subs and my guiding was messing around.

ic1396.jpg

Well done, that's a nice looking starfield with the trunk peeking out on the right hand side. Not a great deal of nebulosity showing as you say but the LP filter will be blocking some of it (not sure how much) and you're also fighting against a lack of full astronomical darkness.

• Like 1

Very nice. I quickly checked the specs on the Sky Watcher LP filter and it does appear to allow the IR/ HA wavelengths through so it does not appear to be blocking anything but you never know...I think the next attempt will be without a filter to see if this helps.

I found IC1396 to be quite faint even from a fairly darkish site. Something like Rosette is much, much brighter.

Taking longer subs is the way to go...and as mentioned it isn't getting truly dark until very late.

Thanks Stuart that's good to know. I am going to have another crack tonight. An extra minute on the subs and more of them with out the LP filter. May as well try whilst we have some clear nights and the moon is not too intrusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok now you peaking my interest. Will take another set of subs of M52 and then move onto the North American nebula around midnight. I have always tried to view the nebula but my skies are too LP'd so it will be interesting to see what happens...[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk