Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY Telescope Case?

Pleiades M45

I have gotten used to just putting some bubble wrap and cardboard in a duffle bag with my tripod and scope and leaving to go where I want.

BUT

Has anyone done any projects on making their own carrying case for their scope instead of buying an expensive factory made one? Sure i can just make a box and throw all my Rubbish in but I am just looking for creative ideas to safely fit all of my equipment.

Anyone?

I wouldn't think of any case for a decent-sized telescope as easy to carry.  My 102 refractor came with its own foam-lined flight case, very nice but would undoubtedly be quite expensive to purchase separately.  For my 8SE I simply have a large plastic Curver storage tub with lid which I have placed the OTA and original packing in, it works to keep the OTA safe but is not really a carry case, just something I could lift into the boot of the car if I wanted to go somewhere; while at home I just take the OTA outside and leave the box indoors.

I'd like to find a metal flight case for my 8SE but it's hard work, they are either too expensive or not the correct size, and I would have to cut my own foam.  I know there are companies that make large flight cases, this may be my best option.  I wouldn't trust my woodworking skills to make my own.

It is not hard to make a case.

The trouble is getting all the bits to do it at a good enough price. Locks aluminium angle, rivets, glue marine ply, corner angle steel ends handles and paint to finish.

I looked into it a year or so ago to build a case for the legs for my EQ8. It would have cost more than just buying a ready made case, by the time I factored in my time as well. In the end I bought a case from Thommann in Germany. It is well made and most importantly guaranteed! The foam was an added extra anyway!

Derek

I tend to use similar to yourself a duffle bag sort of thing.

Over here there are trolley bag varieties of suitable length I find good.

I get one of the right length, usually £20 at Wilkinsons (no use to you in Canada).

Then put a thinnish ply wood base in and add foam. The ply is for extra protection and the foam as padding.

Could extend the ply to a bit more of a frame for more structure/protection.

Making one from ply or wood would be nice but there is the weight to consider.

Have a link to to Wood Wonders but they are eyepiece cases.

Sure I used to have another.

If you made one from ply/wood I guess you would need a foldable wheeled carrier for one as the weight of the scope and box would start to get significant.

I've got the proper case for my ED80, but just got an imitation Pelicase and foam lined it for my 127mak - not at all pretty inside, but does the trick!

The mount head travels in a small travel suitcase on wheels with a pull out handle I got from a charity shop for £5 and it is "lined" with a thick curtain I got from a charity shop for 50p which wraps around the mount head. Again not at all pretty inside, but fits like a glove :)

The tripod travels around in a bag like this i got off ebay for £10: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/400917517283?nav=SEARCH you guessed it, not very pretty but it's very strong and protects it.

James

For the cost I don't need it to look pretty.. I just need an idea to construct something that won't damage or ware down on me. Are there any specifications that are needed to protect the scope itself or could just throwing it in a box with padding be fine?

I don't think there is an International Standard for specifications. It is all down to you; are you planning on using this case to travel by air, or to post the scope, or just for storage and transport to a dark site in your own car?

I'd just get the measurements of your scope, add 6 inches in all directions for form, then go around various cheap hardware stores with a tape measure and look at options; no idea how big your scope is, but if compact then maybe a tool box would do, or some kind of rigid storage box, or as i say a rigid sided suitcase from a charity shop. Foam is pretty easy to come by in craft shops, and you don't have to cut it especially nicely if aesthetics are low down the list... There are various outlets which will precision cut the foam for you but will charge. If the cut foam edges result in bits of fluff, then always make sure your scope is sealed bother ends when putting it in the case else you'll get foam-fluff inside it. For storage at home i'd be tempted to leave the scope open to the air to ensure it dries out nicely inside and out, but again be careful where you store it as you might actually get it more damp inside that it was originally, or a spider may take up residence inside it.

James

If you want very cheap look second hand. Otherwise try Thommann in Germany. They do some very tough cases. Some in poly prop and some in wood composite.

I always think that if in an accident I don't want a sharp piece of scope taking my head off. A long time ago I met someone who had been hit on the back of his head by a large glass ashtray (borrowed I think from an hotel). Any way lucky to be alive but missing a large piece of skull, nice steel plate though!!

Derek

Archived