Got my first telescope

andyales

Hi Andy,

Congrats on getting your first scope and welcome to the forums.

Since getting my first scope last year, I've had lot's of WOW moments, but I never tire of looking at Jupiter.

As you've already been warned, attaching a camera to a scope put's you on a very slippery slope towards some serious damage to your wallet :eek: !!!

Enjoy your star gazing.

Ian

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was out again last night viewing Jupiter again and this time two of the moons were in close proximity of each other, I need to get used to knowing what is visible from my back garden so I can view other objects until I can get to a dark sky area like Kielder

Hi.Andy, and a warm welcome to SGL.

Congrats on acquiring your first telescope, and you made a good and sensible choice.

Also, I'm delighted your family were happy with what they saw too, the night sky is 

treasure chest waiting to be explored. I'm sure you will be more than satisfied with that scope.

Beware though, aperture fever can strike you at anytime in the future, and wanting to see more detail

becomes an obsession. 

The resolving power of a lens or Mirror is related to its diameter D.

However, as the aperture increseas, so does the need for a sturdier mount for the scope.

As regards your wish to take shots of the night sky objects,

If your camera is a DSLR, it will need to be coupled to the focuser of the scope,

with it's lens removed. An adapter will need to be bought, together with a nosepiece that attaches to said adapter.

The adapter depends upon the make of your camera, as they are different.

Beware also, that with such an arrangement attached to your telescope, there is a possibility that your target object may not 

come to a focus on the cameras sensor, this is because the focal point of the scopes mirror, will have to reach a further 50 or so millimetres 

because of the depth of the camera body.

There are several means of taking pictures with a camera and telescope.

1 = Prime focus Imaging

2 = Eyepiece or Barlow projection Imaging.

3 - Afocal Imaging.

You can read all about each one of those online simply by searching.

Number one is by far the easiest method , and will allow Lunar and planetary shots, but will be small scale, apart from the moon, which is a large object.

But more detail can be gained by either of the last two methods.

Having said that, Astrophotography, is a whole different animal to Observing,

And there is much to learn, and it can turn out expensive if you really get the bug.

Best to get a book on the subject, and none better than the one entitled 'Make Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards.

I think perhaps most Imagers on SGL will have a copy of that work.

Best of luck in the new way of life you have chosen.

Ron.

Hi Andy and welcome to SGL, Ron, in his thread above, has given you some excellent basic guidance, if you want to make an excursion into Astrophotography. If it becomes something you want to do on a more permanent basis, then as he has suggested, your very first acquisition should be a copy of the book by Steve Richards, see FLO top of page. Enjoy your new scope and the forum :)

Aye wanting to see more detail and bigger images has already hit, but its OK I have father's day coming up< so when my two lads ask what I want there is a answer waiting for  them.  :grin:

Hi Andy :), Welcome to the Lounge.

I have posted this on a number of threads before, to try and give some basic things for a new starter.

Hope it helps a little. ;)

Welcome to this fascinating Pastime. :)

Firstly, I'd get a copy of a good astronomy Guide, something like, ' Turn Left at Orion ' or 'The Backyard Astronomers guide' books like these are invaluable when your starting out.

There are also some great free software, you can get to show you what's in the sky at night. http://www.skymaps.com Is something that you can print off, and is very handy.

There's also some software called 'Stellarium '. http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/

That's great if you have a tablet or phone with you, whilst observing.

The other recommendation is find your nearest. Astro society, and go along, and see what other people have, it's a perfect opportunity to ask questions. :)http://www.firstligh...om/locator.html

Also have a good read at some of the beginners threads on here, they are very helpful,and may well give you some answers.

A must read is this. Please don't expect to see things , as you would on TV or in magazines. http://stargazerslou...-expect-to-see/

But for now your main objective is. ENJOY YOUR STARGAZING

I haven't seen Saturn yet, I was out again last night looking at Jupiter and one of it's moons shadowing across Jupiter's surface and my son took a photo with his IPhone 6 plus holding it to the eyepiece as can be seen as my pic.

Well, I have now viewed Venus, Saturn, Jupiter and the Moon, now for some nebula. I have ordered a T2-ring for my camera and will upload some pics when I have something.

Archived