Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Davide Simonetti

Black Eye Galaxy (M64) Reprocessed

Since I started using Nebulosity instead of Deep Sky Stacker I've been reprocessing many of the images that were a bit disappointing and discovering just how much detail was in the data but not coming through. This image is a case in point. When I first processed it all that came out was the nucleus and the dust band. Although still not perfect there's lots more detail now and I feel like I've passed a milestone  :smiley:

post-33955-0-46890200-1432014136_thumb.j

77 x 30 second exposures at 6400 ISO
28 x 20 second exposures at 6400 ISO
36 x 15 second exposures at 3200 ISO
26 x 15 second exposures at 12800 ISO
40 Dark Frames
21 Flat frames
74 Bias/offset frames (applied to flat frames only)
Processed in Nebulosity and Photoshop
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By The-MathMog
      First time in a long time I have been out with the camera and telescope. The bad weather has just always lined up with my nights off of work. And boy have we had a lot of bad weather over the winter..
      So I thought I would return to a favorite of mine, and one I tried imaging last year too. 

Unfortunately, the "astronimically dark nights" are already done for this part of the year, so I could only squeeze a few hours in of imaging over the two nights I did this, the get the darkest of them, and had some telescope issues the second night, so I had to scrap 1/3 of the images.
      The first night I also forgot to take dark frames, so I just applied the ones that I took the second night to those, which worked out great too.

Messier 64 (The Black Eye Galaxy)
      Skywatcher 150PDS
      Celestron AVX Mount
      Nikon D5200
      Baader 2'' Neodymium filter (haven't tested the actual difference this one actually makes).
      Explore Scientific Coma Corrector
      ISO 800
      26 subs, 8 mins
      3 hours, 28 min total (over 2 nights as it only gets nautical dark here)
      Manually stacked and processed in Photoshop CS2
      Dark frames used, but only 6 of them.

I've used a LOT of time, doing countless iterations of processing on this one, especially on the color/balance and trying to keep both galaxy detail and star color, so any advice or comment on it, would be very much appreciated.
      But considering how bright the sky was, even during the darkest part of the night, I am quite happy with the amount of detail I could pull out. I'll have to return to it next year, during the dark nights  

• By The-MathMog
      Messier 64 (The Black Eye Galaxy)
      Skywatcher 150PDS
      Celestron AVX Mount
      Nikon D5200
      ISO 800
      26 subs, 8 mins
      3 hours, 28 min total (over 2 nights as it only gets nautical dark here)
      Manually stacked and processed in Photoshop CS2
      Dark frames used, but only 6 of them.
    • By Wiu-Wiu
      Before the grey nights set in, I wanted to get some more sketching done. 
      The 10" ACF and I went to a fairly dark spot in the Netherlands, for some 4 hours of observing and sketching. 

The results:

• By Toxophilus
      Messier 64 - The Black Eye Galaxy
      Taken over 2 nights on the 23rd and 25th May.
      First discovered in 1779 by Edward Pigott it has a dark band of dust which gives rise to its nickname. The galaxy lies around 24Mly away in the constellation of Coma Berenices and is approximately 70,000 ly across.
      Imaging telescope or lens: Meade LX90 8" f/10
      Imaging camera: Atik 383L+
      Guiding telescope: Orion ShortTube 80mm f/5.0
      Guiding camera: QHYCCD QHY5L-II mono
      Focal reducer: Celestron f/6.3 Focal Reducer/Corrector
      Software: Nebulosity 4,  Pleiades Astrophoto Pisinsight 1.8,  MetaGuide Collimation and Guiding
      Filters: Xagyl LRGB Filter Set
      Accessories: XAGYL Ultra Thin Motorized Filter Wheel - 8 x 1.25" Filters,  QHYCCD PoleMaster Polar Scope
      Dates: May 23, 2017,  May 25, 2017
      Luminosity: 80x30" -15C bin 2x2
      Red: 40x30" -15C bin 2x2
      Green: 40x30" -15C bin 2x2
      Blue: 40x30" -15C bin 2x2
      Integration: 1.7 hours

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.