Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skyquest XT10i

Hi all, bit of a novice at watching the skies using binoculars for the past few years. I went to a star party some while ago at Kielder and was really amazed at all the scopes around so now after needing surgery following surfing accident have decided ( told by my mrs) to stop surfing , and buy a telescope . My rear garden is fairly dark and not a great deal of light pollution and as I work nights I like coming home and getting the binocs out for a while and my nights off when everyone goes bed. So my question is I am tempted to get a Skyliner 250 PX dob but have spotted the Orion Skyquest XT10i which I really like. Has anyone used the XT10i compared to the 250 PX which has excellent reviews. I dont want a motorized goto scope so is the extra cost of the Skyquest worth it....

Thanks for any info and what a brilliant site this is ...

Cheers guys

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum :smiley:

Both are great scopes and actually made by the same manufacturer so the optical quality will be the same. The Orion "Intelliscope" system is a "push to" non-motorised system which is popular with those who have used it. I guess the choice depends on how much you would like that facility.

Thanks John for quick reply. I'm weighing up the options by thinking that once I've modded the 250 with a raci and telrad the cost starts to get near the xt10i which has raci and intelliscope feature...mmmmmmmmm

Cheers Peter , I think the XT10i looks like being my choice, it's going to have to wait a few months though as shoulder op soon so no moving arm ( or big scope ) until it's sorted.....just got back in from the garden after some watching with the bins. Nice night when clouds were clearing

I too have an XT8i (relatively cheap second hand). I find the intelliscope part especially handy when the stuff I`m looking for is near zentih.

Not to mention the ID function : you manually find something, say cluster or galaxy, push the ID button and the screen displays what youre looking at.

I`m very pleased with the scope, but I`ve never looked through a telescope with aperture >8".

Rune

Thanks Pondus. That's what I like about the XTi , it allows me to manually star hop but if I am stuck I have the intelliscope and I'd feature as backup..I've chosen a dobsonian over a goto as I want to find things for myself not just push a button and it finds it for me. ( if that makes sense)

Oh dear,,,,decisions, decisions...the more I look into these scopes the more I am leaning toward the skyline 250px then just grabbing a starchart and chair and exploring for myself feeling I would get more satisfaction without the aid of devices.

I started with an Orion XT8 and found I spent quite a bit of time trying to find things than actually observing them, likely due to my light polluted skies. I got an XT10i which enabled me to observe a much broader range of objects and I could really push the limits of myself and the scope. I've had it 10 years this month and I have found it to be excellent and easy to use. The object location is very accurate and has never let me down.

Thanks Phil. Your input is welcome it just makes it harder for me to choose....it's not going to be for a  few weeks until I've had my shoulder op..but some good news is that my diamond of a mother-in-law has offered to buy it for me, how cool is that

I got the skyquest xt10i I had the skywatcher 130p which is a great scope I enjoyed tracking objects down with a chart but with me being a shift worker and with the weather being rubbish and light pollution in my area I was spending most of my time searching for targets and struggling to find them but with the push to once it's set up I can klick on tonight's best and away to go or scroll through the messier list just makes things easier for me you could always look for objects without the handset and if you have trouble it's there for back up

Thanks Phil. Your input is welcome it just makes it harder for me to choose....it's not going to be for a  few weeks until I've had my shoulder op..but some good news is that my diamond of a mother-in-law has offered to buy it for me, how cool is that

Want to swap mother in laws?

I sort of can guess that answer. Lucky sod!

• 3 months later...

Not been on for a bit, the operation went well and hoping to buy my scope in the next 2 weeks but trying to get hold of the SkyquestXT10i is proving a tad hard . The only place I can find one is on amazon uk from a firm called optronic technologies ltd in America. Is it safe to order from them without the scope getting damaged in transit or does anyone know of somewhere else I could get one from..cheers for any help

Not been on for a bit, the operation went well and hoping to buy my scope in the next 2 weeks but trying to get hold of the SkyquestXT10i is proving a tad hard . The only place I can find one is on amazon uk from a firm called optronic technologies ltd in America. Is it safe to order from them without the scope getting damaged in transit or does anyone know of somewhere else I could get one from..cheers for any help

You will pay 20%-25% import charges if you import from the USA plus they probably won't honour the warranty if anything goes wrong.

SCS Astro stock Orion dobs in the UK:

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-skyquest-xt10-intelliscope.htm

Phoned scs astro today they have them in stock at their Netherlands warehouse ,so when I'm ready just give them a ring and yahoo !!! Big shiny scope coming my way .......2 weeks and counting

Great news! And just in time for the Winter observing season. I have every confidence it will serve you well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a really good think decided not to take advantage of the ma-in-law , we ordered the skyliner 250px dob today from FLO (it saved her over £200 bless her ) so looking forward to it coming . Cheers everyone for the feedback

Archived