SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

size rethink

oldnut

evening all, finally got round to clearing the remaining tree/hedge/bush debri that had built up behind the garage, where my obsy will be. next to shift all the broken bricks/ slabs. this was going well when I dropped a large piece of thick slab which made a weird sound when it hit the ground. scrapped away the earth and found a manhole cover, right where the foundations for my obsy will be. this will loose me a couple of foot of the obsys size, I am hoping that the pipework from it doesn't run through the area to be dug, only time will tell

Without more information as to the nature of the site, is it possible to to raise the obs on posts and have an access hatch in the obs floor? Or, have a system whereby the obs itself can roll offthe area with the manhole, like a roll off roll off roof?

But the hole for the pier base could be a different matter :(  I wonder if you could get a copy of the deeds and if these might show the routing of pipes etc.  I once came across an inspection pit cover when I rearranged the garden. If you lift the lid you should be able to see which way the pipes go and how deep they are.  Divining might be another possibility if the pipes are near the surface.  Believe it or not that worked for some buried water pipes when we had a leak outside the kitchen window.

Divining? Utter, utter bunkum.

Be careful if you cover manholes (even if they are covered by grass). If they are part of the public system you may be required to remove anything that you've placed over it.

I'd think very carefully before proceeding and maybe take some professional advice if you are unsure. If you damage a public drain then you might be liable for the cost of repair.....

Be careful if you cover manholes (even if they are covered by grass). If they are part of the public system you may be required to remove anything that you've placed over it.

I'd think very carefully before proceeding and maybe take some professional advice if you are unsure. If you damage a public drain then you might be liable for the cost of repair.....

It's an interesting one isn't it. I remember as a child we played around with divining rods (for that read bent coat hangers in two empty bic biro tubes). It appeared to work, my best 'discovery' was a central heating pipe under the floor which I genuinely didn't know was there.

It does seem pretty unlikely though, I agree!

I think Dawkins is an extremist. There are some people who believe in fairies, ghosts, yetis, u.f.os and anything else they can think of. They are at one extreme of a curve. Most of us come somewhere inside, neither gullible or close minded. Dawkins is at the other extreme. An evangelist who accepts the possibility of nothing he hasn't personally encountered.

I didn't believe in divining until I tried it.  Think whatever you like but I found the water pipe and the path of it.  And that was a result!

I think Dawkins is an extremist. There are some people who believe in fairies, ghosts, yetis, u.f.os and anything else they can think of. They are at one extreme of a curve. Most of us come somewhere inside, neither gullible or close minded. Dawkins is at the other extreme. An evangelist who accepts the possibility of nothing he hasn't personally encountered.

It's an opinion, and I respect your right to hold it.

However, he's actually a scientist and in this particular test he showed that dowsing is bunkum. It's been shown time and time again to be no more efficacious than chance.

I didn't believe in divining until I tried it.  Think whatever you like but I found the water pipe and the path of it.  And that was a result!

Gina, my apologies. My earlier comment was overly terse and I wasn't doubting your experience.

Your experience is, however, much more easily explained by chance. Dowsing has been shown, time and time again to deliver results no better than chance.

Anyhoo, I apologise for the thread drift. Again, i'd advise the OP to have a think about covering the manhole or get advise from a reputable builder.

It's an opinion, and I respect your right to hold it.

However, he's actually a scientist and in this particular test he showed that dowsing is bunkum. It's been shown time and time again to be no more efficacious than chance.

I'm not saying his results are not evidential. I'm not even saying he's wrong. He does however seem hell bent on ridiculing anything that he doesn't agree with.

thanks for the replies, the lid looks pretty rusted in so will wd it and try and get it up and see which way the pipes go. as it stands the garden slopes away from the garage behind which I want to build the obsy.  I can get about 9 feet to the point where I have to put a large pond (part of the deal) I am hoping that the pipe work doesn't run straight down the hill or it will be where the pond has to go as well

All, let's remember that this thread is about an observatory build so please try to keep it on track. The divining comments were an interesting aside but please keep away from banned topics, religion etc.

Cheers,

Stu

not so silly, I did originally think of having the pond as a moat around the obsy but making a moat would be a lot of work compared to just buying a liner

Also difficult to navigate at the end of a session when it is pitch black!!

Regards

Mike

The water board supplied scale drawing for the underground pipework for my property, quite enlightening to discover the 4" pipe that goes to the main sewer runs across a field for 80 yrds (Google Earth measurement) down the side of a pub, ends up 12' down with its own little ladder to get to the bottom. It worth asking if they have drawing you can have a copy of......,

Archived