SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

BRESSER MESSIER 127MM SHORT REFRACTOR

I currently own an Orion Apex 127 MCT. I love it! It's a great scope for planetary observations but I find it lacking in deep sky objects. Plus it isn't ideal for imaging either. So I'm looking for a refractor that I can use on my Orion Skyview Pro mount. (The weight capacity is 20 lbs.)

Explore Scientific Bresser Messier 127 is in the price range that is within reach for me right now. My question is; what others think of this refractor as well as what their experience has been using it for deep sky observation and long exposure imaging. I intend on using it for as observation of deep sky objects and long exposure imaging that my MCT has a hard time seeing.

Anything else you might add as well (i.e. suggestions for a similar scopes that are close to the $500 price range.)

Thanks!

Hi There,

I used to have the long version and currently have a short tube 120mm as my grab and go. As a low power dso viewer it is very good, however I accept its limitation in respect that you have an amount of ca (chromatic aberration) . if you are intent on imaging then you may be better off looking for an ed80 apo which would be c$500 (£349 in UK). This has an excellent reputation amongst the imagers on SGL.

Good luck with your choice.

I had the AR127-L on a Bresser Exos-2 GOTO mount, which is an EQ5 class mount like the Orion. Loved it.

IMHO, whilst it's good enough for visual purposes (with two counterweights) it's well under-mounted on the Orion for imaging. Furthermore, the requirements of DSO viewing v DSO imaging are somewhat divergent.

I'll not comment on imaging (although short ED/APOs seem to rule the roost for obvious reasons) but for visual, hang an 8" F5 Newt on the Skyview and be prepared to be blown away compared to what your MCT has shown you to date. There is no replacement for displacement when it comes to DSO viewing and an 8" Newt is a very sweet spot in light grabbing, balanced with wide field focal length and physical length that is easy to mount. the extra angular resolution on planets may give you a surprise on nights of really stable seeing too.

They're very cheap second hand and 100% Apochromatic.

Russell

Thanks Russell. A big scope that I have been drooling over for a while is an 8" f/3.9 newt astrograph linked below. I've been watching Astromart for one also. Might be a bit too much over the weight capacity for imaging though but for observation I'm sure it will be fine.

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes/Reflector-Optical-Tube-Assemblies/Orion-8-f39-Newtonian-Astrograph-Reflector-Telescope/pc/1/c/11/sc/345/p/101450.uts

Archived