Unmounted Skywatcher 80ED Pro

Perhaps a bit of a strange question:

I currently split my time between two houses and I'm looking at getting the Skywatcher 80ED Pro, which, from what I understand, is a relatively portable scope - a mount suitable for AP, however, is not portable. I would be looking at getting the HEQ5 (though I see the Syntrek version is being discontinued? - by FLO at least). This equipment would be used to start my foray into AP at my main house, but also for some basic visual use at my other house (I believe the 80ED is not particularly suited to be a visual only, but I'd only be expecting to see the solar system objects and a fewof the brightest DSO's). I can't transport my current telescope, the Skywatcher 200p Dobsonian, between houses, nor can I transport a very heavy mount, but I think I would be able to transport the 80ED.

Long story short, my question is: Can the Skywatcher 80ED be used either without a mount (e.g. low magnification lunar observing by resting the OTA on a stable surface) or with a normal camera tripod (I'm not sure exactly how the OTA attaches to the mount)?

Many thanks,

Ross

I'd have thought possibly to the tripod question, but would need to be a reasonably heft tripod, and you might have to drill and tap a hole in the dovetail on the scope to accept the screw or shoe. Won't be easy to use though, as no slow-mo controls.

Possibly also for the other option; would be a defo for terrestrial things that don't move, but for moving night time objects, i suspect it will be tricky.

You just need a cheap second hand alt-az mount.

James

I think if you check on flo`s website the HEQ5 syntrek might just be available for a very short time, and its a superb mount, the ED 80 will be a good imaging scope, keep the dob at one house and the imaging set up at the house you are likely to get best results from

Something like the EQ5 above would be good... I have a medium weight photo tripod and my 70ED wobbles about on it like a drunk pirate. You'd probably have to spend close to that to get a decent tripod anyway.

What's annoying is the HEQ5 Syntrek reappearing...everywhere I looked/asked said they were done and dusted... made me buy an NEQ6!

I guess a cheap mount is the best solution, which is what I guessed would be the case, but it makes sense to ask the very knowledgeable and helpful people here - so thank you!

The mini-giro mount looks very interesting - but a cheap alt/az or eq mount would be fine, even if not motorised, I'm used to the dob and I'd only be using it visually a few times a year, with the rest of the year spent on the HEQ5.

I'd love to get the HEQ5 Syntrek, but whether I can get the funds together before they disappear is another question, otherwise I'll wait longer to save up the extra money for the Synscan version, even though I don't really need the Go-To abilities - it could be better than I imagine.

Thanks,

Ross

Synscan is saving me a LOT of time when finding targets for imaging, so it is very handy from that point of view but, if you get the syntrek, you can still do this via EQMOD and ASCOM, you'll just need the HITECASTRO cable for convenience - you can add one when buying from FLO - add £30

Archived