Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
BinocularSky

The Story of Radio Astronomy (Fordingbridge Astronomers)

The Story of Radio Astronomy

A talk by James Fradgley FRAS

Tues 19 May, 19:30, Old Beams Inn, Ibsley, BH24 3NN (map)

From how it all started to the sort of things we're looking at today. James's talk covers:

Pre-war history - Jansky and other early pioneers;
Jodrell Bank and the Cambridge group - Lovell, Hey and Ryle's developments;
Interferometry - Techniques used to improve resolving power;
CMB radiation - Its discovery. What is it? Where we are now;
Pulsars and Quasars - Their detection; what they are; blazars; active galactic nuclei;
Radio Galaxies - What sort of galaxy are they? Structure of radio emission;
21 cm hydrogen line - What we learn from the study of neutral hydrogen

More info: http://fordingbridgeastro.org.uk/programme.php

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rorymultistorey
      Hi,
      This video is intended to be for someone who is thinking of buying their first scope but isn't sure which one is best.  I would love it to be a good jumping off point for discussion and I hope some wise heads will wade in and answer questions and offer alternative opinions. Thx to astrostace and helena's astro and deddy dayag for contributing. I fear I'm going to have my head down making my next video as I'm currently astrobiscuiting full time (or at least till my loan runs out!). So all help  much appreciated. 😉
      https://youtu.be/Na-aBhc_gTY

• By astrosathya
      Friends, I am back with a tutorial video on how to modify your Sky Watcher HEQ5-PRO mount or its American twin, the Orion Sirius EQ-G into a belt driven mount.
      The benefits of converting to a belt drive is that you don't have to worry about Backlash. The procedure took me about an hour to complete.
      Link is below
      https://youtu.be/PjDZiXaN5KM
    • By thehappypleiades
      Hi, newbie here! I’m hoping to get some advice on some star-gazing binoculars. I’ve read through the forum and I’ve decided to stay away from zoom bino’s because I’m just starting out, and I will eventually look into telescopes and whatnot if I wish to see the skies in more detail! 

So I’ve pretty much settled on something between 8 x 42 and 10 x 50. Please let me know the best ones in this range!!! 
      I’ve read some reviews on the Helios Lightquest HR 10x50’s so any advice on those would be great too! I’m open to suggestions but what I’m really hoping to get is a sturdy pair of first binoculars that I can keep around for the long run, and hopefully drag around on many adventures. I’m willing to invest in a tripod as well for focused gazing, although I plant to keep them around my neck for a while so I can get used to them! 

I’m also unsure of how to find a great lightweight tripod so any links would be great! Love the forum so far and I’m excited to start observing the skies!

Happy Stargazing,
      thehappypleiades
    • By lyfestyle
      Hello all, my name is Paige. I am a college student and new to the stargazing community. I know all about the constellations and astronomy, but i’ve never bought anything to see the stars up close. I’ve read through the forum and come to the conclusions I want to start with some well built binoculars and eventually get into telescopes. The 7 x 50 seem to be the common starting point but I would love to get something with a bit more clarity, and preferably still handheld.  I’ve also read up on some binoculars already and the big brands that jump out are Celestron and Orion, so I would love some opinions on those because they don’t seem to be reliable in the long run. I only have one shot on a good pair and I dont plan on buying any other equipment until i’ve mastered the binoculars! Price range up to around $300 so any tips would be amazing!
      Thank you, happy sky watching 🌌
    • By rorymultistorey
      Hi all,
      I've made a video about my experience looking through binoculars at deep space objects. I am NOT an observer. So I expect I got a few things wrong. Particularly the fact that it was impossible to film in complete darkness. I'd be really interested to hear whether I was way off the mark or not. And what other deep space objects are good to look at through a small pair of binos. Many thx in advance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.