New Member Hampshire UK

Paultesla

Hello Everyone,

My name is Paul, and I've been into astronomy for about 15 years now.  I have a Williams Optics Megrez 72 and EQ3-2 mount with a Canon EOS 550D.  I've slowly been collecting equipment to do astrophotography but its been a steep learning curve.

Last night I think I got close to getting my mount polar aligned.  I see a lot of periodic error so I guess that I'll have to modify the controller to autoguide.  I have an SPC900 webcam that I started to modify for this purpose.

I have yet to complete image calibration and stacking, once I get my focusing and alignment sorted I will tackle that.

I moved a few years ago, and one of the reasons was to get away from light polluted skies.  Where I used to live was dark until some floodlights were installed in an industrial area and that was that, sky that turned to daylight levels with not one star visible to the east.  I am now fortunate that I have dark skies once again and the milky way is visible once more.  Long may it last!

Best wishes,

Paul.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul and welcome to SGL, enjoy the forum but if you are intending to eventually go down the AP route, there will no better purchase than a copy of Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count" the bread and butter of many of the forums Astro Photographers, see FLO top of page :)

Archived