Anything other than squinting one eye in to the eyepiece ?

This will probably sound odd, but due to the fact I suffer from fuzzy eyesight (also known as visual snow) I find it hard to see clearly through the small eyepiece when squinting with one eye. Is there anything that converts the eye piece (I do not know the terms yet) into say a small 5" LCD screen ? So I can look at things with both eyes and bigger. I am very new to this and only setup my first telescope today. 

My telescope model is a Skywatcher BK 1309 EQ2.

Thanks all !!

I can't help with any screen or such, but have you tried wearing an eye patch over your non-observing eye, thus keeping both eyes open? I know nothing about the effects of 'visual snow' on the eye but the patch may help lessen any squinting...and I'd guess you'd need to consider eyepieces with a wider field of view (no orthoscopics or plossls at high mag then ).

Or perhaps a binoviewer? Fair cost to that option though (£150+ as an estimate).

Steve

Thanks. I was hoping there was a binocular style adapter for a telescope, and it seems there is, just didn't know the name. £150 is the exact price for the SkyWatcher version. Steep, but it might be worth it. The eyepatch is a good idea too. 

Yes, I guess the two options are a binoviewer or a video camera of some sort.

You need to be sure a binoviewer will come to focus in your scope, sorry I don't recognize the type from your description.Refractors and Compound scopes are often ok, newts can be a problem.

Have a look out for the Samsung SCB-2000P. They can be picked up very cheaply and give excellent colour performance for Astro. You need a 1.25" adaptor for it and it just slots into the focuser. I think it gives the equivalent to a 6mm eyepiece but not sure. Could use a focal reducer to give a wider field. You then connect from camera to a display using a composite video cable.

The video astronomy section has plenty of info as mentioned already.

Good luck

Archived