Hello from the Wirral, UK

J_N_Y

Hi Everyone

I'm Jonathan (Jonny, Jon, numerour other, less acceptable names) from the Wirral, UK.

I have been looking to buy my first telescope for a few weeks, googling and reading everything I could find. Funny thing was, everything I googled seemed to throw up a post from these forums and the info was all really useful! So i thought i would sign up, say hi and thank you all for your assistance!

Anyway As I said, looking to get my first telescope for my 30th birthday next month. Up until now I have been using binoculars and looking at other people's images on the web, so i think it's high time i got something more suited to the task!

I'l apologise in advance as I have very little practical knowledge of astronomy, but I look forward to learning from all of you, and maybe eventually become to be useful in my own right!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi J_N_Y,

Warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forums. It is surprising how much you can see with a good pair of bino's. Download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium its great and free, to be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/  .. Try a couple of books 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas' these will help you learn where things are in the sky.

When you are set for a new scope, let us know on the forum what your budget is and we will spend your cash!!

hi mate and welcome from south wales,take your time while chooseing your scope its easy to buy the wrong one, can i  just recommend a skywatcher 200p a nice well made scope whitch will give you a bright image and if you want to take some astro pics it will accomadate.

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum. If you're looking for advice, then you've certainly come to the right place. As a newbie to astronomy myself, my advice for what it's worth, would be to buy a copy of Turn Left at Orion, I've found it to be an invaluable guide to the night sky.

One word of warning, don't be tempted to look at any of the deep sky images on the forums, it will only make you want to be able to take similar images and that's expensive!! :smiley:

Ian

Hi Jonathan, welcome to SGL! You mention looking at other people's images on the Web, I'm assuming you may venture into Astro imaging? There are many scopes which are perfectly suited for observing but not so for imaging I'm starting to learn.

Hello jon and a warm welcome, it also took me a while to choose which telescope that i wanted so do not worry.  I changed my mind many times read many reviews on many websites and books and in the end got the one i wanted.  So take your time and do not rush in, plenty of information on here and most importantly enjoy whatever you buy.

Cylon

Archived