Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nexstar Evolution Tracking Noise

Hi all,

I've been using my new Nextar Evolution 8 for a few weeks now. I've previously only had it on on my balcony, where there is a lot of noise, so perhaps I haven't noticed it before, however I've taken the scope out to a quiet area and the tracking noise that the mount makes seems to be quite loud, the only way that I can describe it as some kind of churning.

Does anyone have the same scope and can advise me if the mount is always quite noisy, or could I perhaps have an issue with it.

Thanks,

Firoze

Hi Peter, The slewing at high speed is much noisier - which to be honest I would say is normal. When it's tracking its no where near as loud as this. I had perceived that the tracking noise was much fainter before. Should you be able to hear it if you're standing a few feet away?

Mine makes a noise when tracking, a sort of low pulsing buzz. I think it is quite normal for a mount to make some noise whilst tracking as it is the noise of gear moving. If its all working fine then nothing to worry about.

It's perfectly normal to hear a louder noise when slewing and a quiet gurgle when tracking. But the better quality gears on the Evo (compared with the plastic gears of a cheaper scope) should mean that the slewing noise still sounds relatively refined - shouldnt give cause for concern. I'm sure your scope is normal - but if not return it - I've read some very good things about Celestron's customer service, particularly among Evo owners.

I have the same mount, but haven't used it for a couple of weeks. I don't remember it being particularly loud when tracking.

Just bought a SkySync for mine and am going to fit it this afternoon, I'll get the mount tracking and have a listen and report back shortly.

Allan

The evolution 9.25 is similar - tbh it is more noticeable in the middle of the night when all is quiet...

If I slew fast 180 drug it does sound noisy. Not changed since I got it though and as it's my second fork arm I can confirm both were the same.

Try the same test in daylight with a lot of ambient noise and it is far less noticeable.

@highburymark - thanks, I had thought originally the sound was as you described - to be honest it may just be that nothing has changed and I've become more sensitive it. The one thing that gives me a bit of confidence is that both motors sound similar, so the odds of both being dodgy is hopefully diminished.

@alfindido - let me know how you get on Allan! Enjoy testing out the SkySync!

Cheers Tony, will do later today! On the weekend when I really noticed it was in the middle of the desert and you literally couldn't hear anything else. Probably one of those things that once you notice, become sensitive too.

Hi, just installed the SkySync and got the mount tracking. In the day, with birdsong and someone with a mower about a mile away, I could hear a very faint ticking hum, certainly not very noticeable and i had to stand still and listen hard to hear it. 

At night, if I remember correctly now I've heard it again, it is barely audible when tracking.

I also have a Meade LX90, it makes a little more noise tracking than the EVO, but again, it is barely perceptible in the day and I never remember hearing it at night except when using the scope, when again, it is a faint ticking hum.

Both are pretty noisy when slewing, the Meade more so as it has a higher maximum slew speed.

Hope this helps a bit

Allan

Thanks Allan, hopefully it's all in my head. I'm going to take it outside now and have a play. I had originally noticed it as a humming noise also but now sounds more like a churning sound but I guess as long as it's tracking accurately it's not so much of an issue. The biggest pain for me is that I bought it in the UK, so if anything does go wrong with it, I'll need to get it back to the UK!

Thanks very much for taking time to check it out and give me you're feedback!

Archived