Narrowband

Moved To CCD Help!

I have recently moved to an Atik One 6.0 with baader LRGBHa filters form a canon dslr and I am a bit lost with the processing.

I have had some good results on M81 & M82 with the canon

13016222404_f48aa01c19.jpgM81 & M82 by Darren Carver, on Flickr

So I thought I would have a go at the same target with the Atik. I thought I had got lots of good data with reasonable star profiles each channel containing at least 10 5min subs L, R, G, & B and 10 10min subs of Ha. I have followed several of the tips that Olly has suggested about combining the Luminance with the colour and several online videos about  levels & curves and other Photoshop techniques, but I cant seem to get anything near what I got with the canon.

I'm at a bit of a loss, is my data any good? Or is it my processing that is letting me down?

I have uploaded the data to my dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bpickfdp3d4jowx/AAADJBTE0uHaPI6HYupXS8qDa?dl=0 if anyone would like a go with the data.

There are 2 sets one set prefixed align which contains all of the data stacked in Nebulosity and the separate channels aligned ready for bringing into photoshop. The second set prefixed histm is the same as above but with the histograms matched in nebulosity.

Please help I am really struggling with this.

Regards

Darren

Hey.

Smth is really not good there, you should get much better results.

But can you share a few of the raw subs?

(maybe one HA and one R or so)

Did you inspect the single subs, that they are all good before you stacked?

On the dropbox i can only see the stacked images it seems

Try the histm prefixed versions as these have been aligned and cropped to suit using nebulosity.

I did use flats and bias but no darks

The image posted above is the canon version that I am trying to better, I know it is very noisy. I do not have access to the individual subs from here I can upload them tonight, but they did all look ok I inspect every sub prior to stacking, I then check each stack prior to aligning these.

Darren

------------------------------------------------

Twitter: @SalAstroSoc @Astronut1639 www.salfordastro.org.uk

Nexstar 8 GPS ADM MDS Rings & Counter Weights, Skywatcher ST80 & Synguider, Canon EOS 1000d,

Dew Heaters & 4 Channel Controller, Orbit Wedge, Observatory and not enough clear nights

I've had chance to have a proper look - your flats haven't worked at all, there are large dust bunnies on green & red and the lum has a band down the right hand side which needs calibrating out. The blue channel is not great and is needing a lot more data. It is totally swamped when I combined it with red and green.

Are you in an area of high light pollution? As the black point on the unstretched Lum is very, very high, meaning the background is very bright. Have you considered a light pollution filter in front of your LRGB, I use an IDAS LP2 in front of my filters.

The way I approach LRGB imaging is to squeeze everything I can  from the Lum - spend several nights on it until you can make nothing more out of it. Then 15/20 RGB subs at bin 2 hidden under a corking Lum makes a very decent LRGB image.

I'm in an extremely lp area I'm near the driving range at the Trafford centre I use a lp filter on the camera nose piece. Everything setup wise is the same as the canon image apart from the camera. I will try to redo the calibration and stacking but if the data looks dodgy I may be better starting again

Darren

------------------------------------------------

Twitter: @SalAstroSoc @Astronut1639 www.salfordastro.org.uk

Nexstar 8 GPS ADM MDS Rings & Counter Weights, Skywatcher ST80 & Synguider, Canon EOS 1000d,

Dew Heaters & 4 Channel Controller, Orbit Wedge, Observatory and not enough clear nights

Maybe picking an emission nebula and working just in Ha would simplify the starting point for you. The targets are becoming available again as the MW rises and this would let you forget about the LP complications at this stage.

You'll get there.

Olly

Archived