Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Birmingham

StaceStar

Hi

So after great deliberation and a bit of advice from FLO I finally went ahead and got my first scope. I went for the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ MD, got a great deal on it too, however the motor drive doesn't work!!! At the moment i'm not too fussed at that though. 

I had a great first session and managed to get a look at Jupiter and 4 moons before the clouds came over, I injured myself putting the scope and mount together so you could say i've already given blood, sweat and tears to this hobby!! 

Looking forward to exploring the night sky a bit more! :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the welcome :) after the stress (and pain) of getting it all set up I was so glad to actually be able to see something. Going to take my time learning all the basics now and getting used to my new toy :)

Hi StaceStar,

Warm welcome to SGL. Hope you enjoy the forums. You are sorted with the scope!, but if you fancy some reading try 'turn left at Orion' & 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'... Also if you have not done so already download a planetarium program, plenty out there but rry stellarium. Its great and free, to be found here :- www.stellarium.org ...

I know I'm going to get disapproving looks for this lol but unfortunately I didn't buy it from FLO. I happened to find it much cheaper at a well known electronics store and as it was local decided to go and get it from there. I'm a bit stumped really. I'm not too bad a fixing electronics really (part of my job) so when I've got a spare moment I'm going to see if there's anything glaringly wrong .. I guess then I'll have to get in touch with the UK support which is a company called HAMA I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi mate and welcome from south wales,ive lost count how many times ive took the skin off my fingers wile setting up over the years, my worst one is bending down to pick something up and banging my head on the polar scope end draws blood every time.all the best.charl.

hi mate and welcome from south wales,ive lost count how many times ive took the skin off my fingers wile setting up over the years, my worst one is bending down to pick something up and banging my head on the polar scope end draws blood every time.all the best.charl.

Ouch!!!

Well I got my finger stuck in the mount...was pretty gruesome! Thought it could have been an a&e and stitches job, but it's a lot better today...all bandaged up and the bruising is coming out . :) learnt my lesson now though, keep fingers out of the way lol

Hi StaceStar and welcome to SGL, I know it may be a painful memory, but how on earth did you mange to injure yourself whilst putting it all together ? There must be many among us who have the honour of being members of the damaged fingers brigade. Part of my kit even includes a pack of sticking plasters. 

Beyond the pain and suffering it is, never the less, a wonderful hobby, enjoy your Astronomy and the forum  :)

Thanks for the explanation StaceStar, our threads crossed, you are now registered as an honouree member of the damaged fingers brigade :D

I feel honoured! I'm guessing I should probably get a first aid kit for when I'm using it, I can be a bit clumsy ha!

Yeah I think I might take it back, just reluctant to at the moment as I'm eager to have a play!

This probably isn't the best place to ask, so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be amazing ...but has anyone ever tried to mount a smartphone to their telescope to take pictures? I do have a dslr that I intend to venture into in the future but for just quick snaps of the moon for example I was thinking it would be great if I could just use my iphone :)

Archived