Opticstar AR Refractors - worth my Sterling?

Hi all

As you my previous post, I am looking for a short tube frac to use on an EQ3-2 / EQ5 mount (visual only). In my endless surfing, I have come across Opticstar in Manchester. They seem to do a range of fracs that fit in my price range. The one I’m interested in is HERE. Trouble is I can’t find many reviews on any of the range.

Does anyone here on SGL have any experience with these scopes? Or should I stick with my first choice of Skywatcher 80 or 102 shorties?

Thanks in advance

Nige

These are sold under various names. I have heard good reports about the TS and Robtics branded ones. The focuser is rather nicer than the single speed ones in the standard ST80 and ST102 ones. The fact that it is F/5.5 should contribute a bit to lower chromatic error compared to the F/5 of the STs

Thanks Michael - the build quality does appear to be a touch better (hard to say in photos lol!), along with the higher quality focuser. Just one question - who are 'TS' that you refer too in your post please?

Cheers

Nige

I don't know about the 90mm but I have read about several examples of the 80mm from that range having poor quality objective lenses.

TS = Telescope Services, a German dealer.

Thanks both - appreciate your help. Manchester is about 90 minutes away from me, so not really a quick jaunt! Perhaps best to stick with my original plan of the Skywatcher ST's. I can use the base OTA and 'pimp' it with a better focuser, diagonal and finder.

Thanks both - appreciate your help. Manchester is about 90 minutes away from me, so not really a quick jaunt! Perhaps best to stick with my original plan of the Skywatcher ST's. I can use the base OTA and 'pimp' it with a better focuser, diagonal and finder.

This report from Neil English is worth a read:

http://neilenglish.net/gallus-beastie-i-the-skywatcher-shorttube-80-achromat/

It covers firstly the ST80 and then later on the Optistar AR80S with some interesting conclusions.

Thanks for all the replies - I will see if I can get up to RVO in the coming week and have a proper look. Its all well and good looking on interweb, but to actually get 'hands on' would be waaaaay better!

Thanks

Nige

Archived