Celestron STAR POINTER Red-Dot Finderscope

My family recently purchased a Celestron AstroMaster 114.  They also purchased the Red-Dot finderscope mentioned in the title thinking it would be better than the finder that came with the Telescope.   1) does anyone have instructions for the finderscope?   I have looked on the manufacturer's site only to find absolutely nothing.  I have looked around on their site for a Tel# but, that was just as difficult with the same results.

Part of the problem is that with a Red Dot Finder people look at the RDF.

You are not supposed to look at it but to look past/trhough it at the sky beyond it.

The optics are such that when you look at infinity then the RDF will place a dot in your view, if you look at the RDF then the optics are wrong. It takes some getting used to.

One other aspect is that different people like or get on with different finders. The one that just about everyone rates highly I cannot use, I would have more success looking through a cardboard toilet roll tube.

Archived