Quark rear thread

Davey-T

Anyone know what the thread on the rear of the Quark is ?

Its a female thread and measures about 35mm but looks quite coarse and being made in the USA may not even be metric.

The problem I'm having is when using the .5X f/r the camera adapter doesn't go all the way into the holder so the compression ring misses the rear end and the camera tilts as I tighten the locking screw.

I can get a TS 1.25 visual back with a T female thread and then need an adapter to connect it to the quark, probably have to get that made but need to know the Quark thread size.

Dave

A recent thread touched on this on here.  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/243495-quark-first-light/page-2

"The thread that's in the rear of the Quark is an odd size.....1.375" (the same as Celestron used to use for some ancient eyepiece projection adapters), so converting to T2 thread and a proper twist-lock arrangement isn't straightforward. I believe that a 35-37mm camera lens step-up adapter can be forced into it." - ZAKALWE

Its a  1.375" x 24 TPI thread. Why they couldn't use a standard T-thread is beyond me :mad: :mad: :mad:  Blooming 'mericans and their insistence on using Imperial measurements!

I believe that camera lens step up rings can be made to fit. You need a 35mm-37mm and a 37mm-42mm. This will allow a standard T-thread to be fitted. Mike Garbett over on SolarChat has done this.

I am waiting on the slow boat from China to being me some of these rings and will report back. The 35mm thread is very close, but its not perfect, so a bit of brute force may be required. Luckily for me, I have brute force and ignorance in spades. :grin: As soon as they arrive I'll post it on here.

The thread is the same as on a Celestron 1.25" SCT visual back (the male thread in the image below).

51FaHGbSjJL._SL1200_.jpg

I have now acquired a Baader 1.25 click lock with female "T" thread so all I need now is an adapter to convert the Quark thread to  "T" thread and the worlds my lobster, I'll be able to connect anything to it.

Just got to find someone to make an adapter now, given the number of Quarks sold it could be a cottage industry for some enterprising person, at least 'till Baader wake up and make one  :grin:

Dave

Here we go:

17583520878_143c4def31_b.jpg

35-37mm filter step-up ring, then a 37-42mm step-up ring, then a T-thread male-to-male adapter. My ASI 174 screws straight on, or you could use a proper self-centering clamp like this:

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/antares-2-125-twist-lock-adaptor-.html

The 35mm ring doesn't screw in properly, but it goes far enough in to be secure. Cost? About £5 as these rings are cheap as chips on eBay or Amazon.

It's my desire to have a fully screwed together rig. This is more secure and removes a source of flex and out-of-square connections.

The Quark 2" nosepiece is threaded into the main body with a standard 2"filter thread, i.e M48. So it should be possible to get a M48 to M68 adapter (the back of my focuser has a M68 female thread) and a couple of M48 extension tubes. I'd need to find a sensibly priced source for these though....Teleskop Express charge silly money for bits like this.

• 4 weeks later...

Received my Quark adapter from John@JTechDesign, can now have solid straight connection to eyepiece and camera.

Converts the Quark rear thread to  standard "T" thread so have fitted a Baader Click Lock to it.

Just need some Sun now to try it. :)

Dave

post-21198-0-27568400-1433847386_thumb.p  post-21198-0-14030400-1433847391_thumb.p

Received my Quark adapter from John@JTechDesign, can now have solid straight connection to eyepiece and camera.

Converts the Quark rear thread to  standard "T" thread so have fitted a Baader Click Lock to it.

Just need some Sun now to try it. :)

Dave

attachicon.gifQuark-adapter-1.png  attachicon.gifQuark-adapter-2.png

Yep I got mine sorted as well, 3 adapters from China gives me a solid 2" screw connection which is a lot sturdier & I feel safer to use.

Dave, snap, I have gone for the clicklock too, thanks for the idea.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-click-lock-125-inch-eyepiece-adapter-with-t-2-thread.html

I was surprised when it arrived to see it has a micro helical focuser built in as well (did not pay full attention to the shop description!), it will be interesting to see if that comes in handy for imaging. I often need to nudge just a little during a Quark session and though I have a very nice Feathertouch, it can be a little bit fiddly to reach it while I am imaging and looking at the lappy screen. The clicklock's focuser should be closer to me. Does look to be solid as a rock.

Nice one, Stu! Mine is here. And as it was so cloudy today, I have rummaged in my adapters box and replaced the two extension tubes I was using.

For that I have used a 2 inch to 1.25 inch ClickLock adapter, which has an inner T2 thread, and added some T2 extension tubes, which then connect to a Baader 2 inch to 1.25 inch adapter (not a ClickLock) via its T2 thread that is accessible after the top is unscrewed. I am quite pleased to have removed the 2 inch extension tubes beccause my FeatherTouch focuxer has its compression ring quite near the edge and it looked like it might be catching on the top 'lip' of the extension tubes rather than the main body.

18159284813_098f045708_o.jpg

18592183328_4899b2aefe_o.jpg

Thanks, Stu, it feels rock solid.

re: the 2 inch silver part, You are most observant! I have removed it from the Quark, it unscrewed easily. The main reason was that it was getting in the way a bit of the 1.25 inch connection. That cutaway bit on it for a thumbscrew just doesn't seem to work on my setups when using 1.25 inch, the barrel was 'hitting' / resting on the top of the Baader clicklock eyepiece holder, so off it went! :grin:

I was going to use a 2 inch ClickLock, but the 1.25 seems to work a little bit better on my T2 extension tubes. Unlocking the 2 inch looked like it could slightly unscrew the T2 sometimes, the 1.25 doesn't seem to do that, and it makes things a little bit lighter.

I am setting up this morning so will have a closer look, probably won't get any clear, but want to see how it feels on the scope anyway with everything hooked up and have a little play with the micro helical focuser.

Hmmm, gear tinkering, a sure sign of cloud :grin:

EDIT: I forgot to say, I have a 2 inch UV/IR cut on the filter thread of the Baader 2 inch to 1.25 inch adapter. Gotta be before the Quark in the optical train, of course :laugh:

Looks a nice solid connection throughout Luke. Do you have an 1.25" extension nosepiece on the Quark or have you removed the 2" part? Looks slightly different...

Archived