SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The r-rgb Saturn image (enhanced) + animation

Kokatha man

Hi SGL'ers - first up a "thank you" from Pat & myself to those who responded to our "PB..." thread since I last responded myself therein! :)

At the time I made a 2-frame animation also but Prof. Sanchez Lavega asked me to create another image with the "C" ring (especially the inner aspects) more enhanced for him...

Although I normally adhere to a more subdued "ep" view overall of this ring aspect I had no problems doing as he requested...I quite like it like this although I don't like it where the "C" ring is made to look almost on a par with the rest of the rings & planet's disk...

I decided to create r-rgb's using the r as a luminance & found that the detail discernibility was also enhanced - more so again when using these in WJ to combine the 5 r-rgb sets.

I then made a 3-frame r-rgb animation & I'm posting this .gif animation here...

But if you really want to see the animation with maximum fidelity go to this webpage of mine here http://momilika.net/WebPages/LatestSaturnPics.htm  & click on the 2nd image on the page...if you have PIPP loaded, your machine will recognise the codec & play the avi.

Best if you turn on the "repeat" tab in Windows Media Player that pops up & wait till the image buffers & starts! :)

If the video codec is not recognised you can follow the link on our website plus our directions to load this codec & play the avi animation...or just load PIPP if you are a planetary imager & it will then play on the website - it is superior to the one I'm posting here. ;)

post-3551-0-55398100-1431321222_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-15490700-1431321257.gif

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jaw droppingly gorgeous ;-)

Having now looked at the original images and animation on your website, I can only add that these are amongst the best I've seen this year, with a beautiful presentation of ring and surface detail.    The ASI174 is producing great resolution with the improved resolution and frame rates and the animation is starting to show depth and turbulence within what more usually apears as Saturns smooth and serene bands.     The animation demonstrates just how dynamic the environment is.

Not quite on a par with Cassini (though NASA have a 1.2 billion kilometer advantage), but certainly another significant advance for 'amateur' and terrestrial based astronomy.

Damm not sure I have ever seen so many small storms in one go before on Saturn.

Looks like your breaking new ground again.

Way to go Darryl. Exciting times, even for us just being able to see the limits being pushed like this

You must be having a lot of fun.

...a quick "thank you!" to all those people who have responded to this thread since I last replied here...we have been away for 6 nights & I couldn't remember my password for SGL while we were away even though I always click "remember" - but it never does!!! :(

Had some success but got rain on the C14 with the open scope facing straight up one night...I flocked the OTA after I purchased it back when & I think this exacerbated moisture build-up & retention inside the OTA after the rain episode - causing constant fogging on the corrector plate's internal face.

This fog is dispersed the same way outside fog is, with a hair dryer (takes a bit longer) but it took its' toll on what could well have been the best night for imaging Saturn... :(

What I thought was terrible seeing owing to the star-pattern when attempting to collimate on said night turned out to be actual (relatively) large dew-droplets covering the secondary mirror entirely - I only discovered this the following day after we had moved to another location & it required removing the corrector plate twice that evening to dry off the internal face of the corrector plus the secondary mirror - all better now but I will do a few things to the scope now we are home! :)

Seeing the secondary's appearance reflected in the primary is quite difficult at night & the secondary's baffle makes moisture dissipation very hard in situ...

Archived