a question about Orion 9x50 Illuminated Right-Angle CI Finder Scope

I am wondering if any one knows if it is possible to take the finder from the orion 9x50 illuminated right angle ci finder scope out of its mounting bracket ? I wish to use it to replace the 8x50 finder on my Bresser Messier NT203.I have trouble seeing the cross hairs and having arthritis in my back makes bending at awkard angles very painful .Looking at the pictures i think the dove tail on the orion one is different to that of the messier but wondered if the tube would fit inside the messier rings and mount? looking at pictures of the orion one the front looks of greater diameter than the mount and one web site says the prism and eyepiece can not be removed so it couldnt be slid out that way . any one know? or if not of a similar finder to the orion one that would fit .

Hello,

I think the finders would be the same size.

I think that the Meade, Breser and Explore Scientific brackets have the same dovetail which is different to the Skywatcher ones, but the finder scopes themselves are interchangeable

Regards

Ian

I have an Orion 9x50 non-illuminated RACI finder. It does come out of it's mount fairly easily. The body of the finder is 53mm in outside diameter if that will help assess if it will fit in the Bresser finder mount. The body of the Orion RACI finder is shorter than a straight through finder at 85mm in length.

Hope that helps.

thats very useful to know it could be a close call though  as the rings are 87mm apart measured from the out side of the rings 85mm will just fit (I hope but  it will be close) outside diameter is 87mm so  it would fit through the rings and hope fully will tighten up enough That 85 mm is that from where the body joins the prism right up to the front lense?

As another consideration does any one have or know the dimensions of the celestron9x50 right angle correct image illuminated finder scope with bracket the bracket would be of no use but maybe the tube is a little longer?

Archived