quick question

Being so tied up with EQMOD lately I am now struggling with polar aligning again so quick question.

If I use the polar app on my phone and copy it through my polar mount by slackening the RA  then I may end up with the counterweight bar at an angle to achieve what I see on the app. After that I am a bit mystified, do I then rotate the RA so the bar is pointing back down  or do I leave it. Im sure the last time I done it I then put the scope on the mount and pointed at Polaris  while the RA was still at an angle. 

Counterweight shouldn't be at an angle.

Counterweight should point down and dec at 90. Adjust the lat and az of the mount to bring Polaris to the right place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And this is where I am getting confused from. If I alter the reticule in my polar finder to match what I have on my phone app the only way I can do that is by turning the RA so that what I see through the polar scope matches up with what I see on the app. Are you saying once I done that I can loosen the clutch to turn the RA so the counterweight is back pointing down?.

And this is where I am getting confused from. If I alter the reticule in my polar finder to match what I have on my phone app the only way I can do that is by turning the RA so that what I see through the polar scope matches up with what I see on the app. Are you saying once I done that I can loosen the clutch to turn the RA so the counterweight is back pointing down?.

Once the mount is polar aligned you can return the mount to the normal home position (counterweight down, telescope pointing to NCP)

Is your problem that the reticule isn't in the 12 o'clock position? If so release the clutch and whilst holding the scope or weight so the weight remains pointing down use the mount RA controls to turn the reticule.

You should then be able to get the reticule and the weight both pointing the right way, lock the clutch once it is right.

Now just polar align with the Az and Lat adjustments.

Aha yes thats the problem, when my counterweight bar is pointing directly down, looking through the reticule the little circle is at 4 o,[removed word], Ok I have released the clutch I,m holding the counterweight bar, where the heck are the RA controls

The only RA controls I see are on the syncscan and tried that so im a bit lost on how to get it back in lineat the moment when the counterweight bar is directly down the reticle is at 4 o,clock, would it have slipped while in gear or something?

Any time you release the clutch it will move out of position.

Set the slew speed to max and with the clutch open use the RA slew command on the controller whilst you hold the counterweight in the down position and look at the polarscope. You should see it moving, if it is going the wrong way then use the other RA slew button ;)

Ok  maybe theres something wrong with the mount as I have altered the slew speed to 9 , released the clutch and while holding the counterweight bar downwards im pressing the left/ right arrow keys on syncscan and nothings moving at all even though I can hear tghe motor running, incidently if the clutch is loose why am I holding the bar wouldnt loosening the clutch disengage it?

Well on my mount if I don't hold the weight still then it will rotate even with the clutch open as it is balanced any friction on the shaft is enough to make it move.

If the OTA is not attached then it will stay weight down of coarse ;)

I guess I have a different mount to you, you may need someone with the same mount to help you.

Archived