Help! - Broken Parts Replacement

Hi,

I am new to this forum, so please overlook my newbie-ish descriptions.

I am very new to the stargazing business. While I did take some Astronomy courses in school, I never really had any experience with telescopes. 

I got my hands on a Meade 70AZ-AR telescope from a person who was giving it out for free. The only catch was that the "ring" with thumbscrews that holds the sense to the tube can not be used. Apparently, the last owner broke one of the thumbscrews and it got stuck in the "ring" like object, so no more lenses can be mounted on the telescope.  :sad:

post-44449-0-31459900-1431271728_thumb.j

I went to a local telescope dealer and he said he doesn't sell or repair this part. Any idea where I can get one of these things as a spare(eBay, amazon etc.)? And what is this part officially called in the world of stargazing? The store owner was referring to this as a mounting ring, but while googling mounting ring I did not have much luck.

I did not know who else to turn to than this forum. I hope you guys will be able to help me out on this.

PS. as a good noob would do

- I tried getting it out with tools
- I tried using heat to expand the plastic :(

None of those worked. Thankfully, I did not damage the "ring" - any suggestion would be helpful.

I appreciate the time you took to read this long post.

Thank you

Hi and welcome. Whilst I can't help you with your specific issue a tip would be to add more detail in your topic title. For example include your telescope type. You may improve your chances of finding someone 'in the know'. Good luck.

Hi and welcome. Whilst I can't help you with your specific issue a tip would be to add more detail in your topic title. For example include your telescope type. You may improve your chances of finding someone 'in the know'. Good luck.

He says "I got my hands on a Meade 70AZ-AR telescope"

Which is the scope.

http://www.meade.com/downloads/manuals/refractor-manuals/Meade70AZ_AR.pdf

Looks like GKEC has located the best chance of obtaining the right replacement. Although could you not extract the broken screw and simply replace it? From your image the ring appears to be intact.

I agree with Ronin, use plyers or similar to unscrew the broken thread (it should just unscrew). Then just use one of the thumb screws to secure your eyepieces.

One thumb screw should be sufficient.

Welcome to SGL :)

Ant

He says "I got my hands on a Meade 70AZ-AR telescope"

Which is the scope.

http://www.meade.com/downloads/manuals/refractor-manuals/Meade70AZ_AR.pdf

Looks like GKEC has located the best chance of obtaining the right replacement. Although could you not extract the broken screw and simply replace it? From your image the ring appears to be intact.

He also says

- I tried getting it out with tools

- I tried using heat to expand the plastic  :(

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the helpful responses. 

1. I had tried using tools to unscrew it. Unfortunately, I can't really get a good grip, even with a narrow pliers. 

2. Tried to use heat to expand the hole and use a plier, that didn't work well, and it was damaging the thinner plastic side of the T2 clamp(threaded area)

So, my best option would be to order one online and get a new one. 

Point taken - Next time I will post my telescope name and issue better to get focused responses. Much appreciated :)

You guys have been really helpful. 

Now, it might sound a stupid question but the measurement of the ring should be 1.25 inch T2 clamp right? 

I feel really welcomed with the responses. Hopefully, one day I will be able as knowledgable as you guys, and be able to help someone out in the future. 

Many thanks from Canada :)

Hi, if you have a thin hacksaw blade it might be possible to cut off the bit extending out that is stopping you using eyepieces, then just use the single working one (or drill and tap another hole).  As an alternative you might also be able to cut a notch in the remains of the screw (with a hacksaw blade) and get a screwdriver in to get it turning.

looking at your photo again, even if you put a small groove in the plastic on the outside (because not enough bolt sticks out) it should be possible to cut the groove in that end of the bolt which is easier to get to and not completely ruin the ring. 

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the helpful responses. 

1. I had tried using tools to unscrew it. Unfortunately, I can't really get a good grip, even with a narrow pliers. 

2. Tried to use heat to expand the hole and use a plier, that didn't work well, and it was damaging the thinner plastic side of the T2 clamp(threaded area)

So, my best option would be to order one online and get a new one. 

Point taken - Next time I will post my telescope name and issue better to get focused responses. Much appreciated :)

You guys have been really helpful. 

Now, it might sound a stupid question but the measurement of the ring should be 1.25 inch T2 clamp right? 

I feel really welcomed with the responses. Hopefully, one day I will be able as knowledgable as you guys, and be able to help someone out in the future. 

Many thanks from Canada :)

The eyepiece that fits in the ring is a 1.25 inch eyepiece, i.e. the diameter of the metal eyepiece tube is 1.25inch so the inside diameter of the ring should be 1.25inches or just over.  This is almost certainly the case.  

The thread that screws the ring onto the scope is probably a T thread (M42x0.75mm, note standard M42 has a 1mm pitch) but that needs checking.  Just to confuse things T2 and T thread tend to be used interchangeably.

Hi SyedShaf,

You are not far from Toronto. Khans is on Dufferin. Worth giving them a call first (800) 580 7160 or online :--- http://www.khanscope.com/ .

Hi Damian, Thank you for your response. :)

I have tried them in two instances, and they have shown me the doors and one time kind of went on a rant on how "Newbies" are buying cheap telescope and making bad decisions. I honestly did not like their attitude - although they might be knowledgeable and well respected individuals - but bad customer service doesn't make a person feel good. Not everyone can afford a $1500 telescope right?

On a side note, I have been playing guitars for 10 years now, and I know how I started out. I started with guitars not even worth $100 - like every venture, you start small to minimize your financial risks and grow from there. While I get that cheap things to an expert might be annoying- but for someone starting out, it is something they are putting much value in. They were of no help, instead recommended that I buy a new telescope - when I could have easily replaced the T2 Clamp and go on with this current one.

Enough about my rant. I hope I have not offended anyone.

appreciate the response people. You guys are amazing :)

Hi Damian, Thank you for your response. :)

I have tried them in two instances, and they have shown me the doors and one time kind of went on a rant on how "Newbies" are buying cheap telescope and making bad decisions. I honestly did not like their attitude - although they might be knowledgeable and well respected individuals - but bad customer service doesn't make a person feel good. Not everyone can afford a $1500 telescope right?

On a side note, I have been playing guitars for 10 years now, and I know how I started out. I started with guitars not even worth $100 - like every venture, you start small to minimize your financial risks and grow from there. While I get that cheap things to an expert might be annoying- but for someone starting out, it is something they are putting much value in. They were of no help, instead recommended that I buy a new telescope - when I could have easily replaced the T2 Clamp and go on with this current one.

Enough about my rant. I hope I have not offended anyone.

appreciate the response people. You guys are amazing :)

I feel that is really bad customer service.  So people buy cheap scopes?  Don't they sell them at a profit?

I have a Columbus Les Paul in a nice cherry sunburst.  I bought it when I was a student in 1980 for about $70.  I chose it because it looked like the one Jimmy Page played.  

Anyway across the years it became unplayable.  I asked friends and tried to part exchange it and the comments were along the lines of "Oh I remember them, maybe $100".  or "Not worth the money".

I have another rather more "well respected" guitar that I took to a local guy who setup guitars and he did a fantastic job on it.  It was better than it was when I had bought it.  So I brought along my old student guitar. 

He looked at it and said there is no such thing as a bad guitar.  I was doubtful.  He then immediately noticed that the bolts that were holding the neck on were coming away from the the neck which was why it was unplayable. 

A week later I had a guitar that was better than it had ever been.  Well worth the money which was about what it was valued at.

Photo attached which doesn't quite do it justice.

post-27167-0-81112400-1431473378.jpg

Hi Syedshaf, just a thought, do you have any friends who are into model making or small DIY work, I would be inclined to try a small modelers drill with a grinding wheel attached and grind the offending screw down until the eye piece fitted, as previously stated, it will work with just one screw securing the eyepiece, and in the mean time, you can scour the web for a replacement, the sort of tool I am thinking of is called a " Dremel" in the UK nt sure if you can get them in Canada, but expect there will be a similar set up your side of the pond, good luck any way Lum. UK                            www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/pages/tooldetail.aspx?pid=4000

Cut a groove in the exposed end of the screw with a very fine saw or a thin, worn dremel-type cutting disk then unscrew it with a jeweler's screwdriver ...

... or even using a knife-edge needle fine will cut the groove.

AndyG 

Archived