mount mod

Andrew*

Do you reckon having teflon pads or a teflon ring in between the mount and the tripod would make a worthwhile improvement for the friction when adjusting azimuth?

Was just an idea and I'm wondering if folk have done it and reckon it's a good mod.

Andrew

hi Andrew adding Teflon or a Teflon coated disc Will certainly reduce friction but please be aware that when Teflon gets wet or worst still gets any form of oil or grease on it the frictional adherence becomes almost non existence IE will go like an ice rink not good for trying to keep the positioning locked when needed also if Teflon comes into contact with low temperature it will eventually weather and start to strip back if you need to reduce the friction by a small amount I would suggest the use of a small amount of silicone grease to lubricate the mount Regards

Pete aka timetraveller

I second the silicone or......... a lithium grease between the bearing surfaces to smooth things out, i know u can get a silicone based aerosol though im not sure what brand, (red can yellow top) we use it at work on heavy load bearing surfaces and it lasts well even when it appears theres none on.

Ive some in the garage and use it regular on the big hinges to good effect :( not as good as WD40 for keeping water out but hey u dont need that lol and it lasts longer.

Andy.

Archived