SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Manchester

Ravi

Hello everyone I am Ravi. I was fascinated looking at the star filled skies since I was a child (an extremely long time ago) with my naked eyes as where I was living had little light pollution and the skies were glorious! Read a lot about the physics of the universe and read about space programs around the world but never had the opportunity to own a telescope, largely because life takes over and eats time and money for breakfast. Did buy a customer returned Meade telescope in a store when we were on holiday to the U.S. 15 yrs ago but it was returned for a reason, never worked, parts missing and that ended it.

The Sky at night on BBC programme about solar eclipse in March this year and a neigbhour who lent me a solar film to hang in front of my SLR giving beautiful(for us anyway) photos of the eclipse progressed into my son attempting to photograph Orion for the same BBC programme. Now after a bit of research, including on stargazers lounge, I have bought a Celestron 102 SLT telescope and through my sons bedroom window (it is warmer inside!) the whole family has been astouded that we could see Jupiters moons! Lots of chromatic aberration but we can see it! And even photographed a blurry image with the iPhone! Moon took my wifes breath away more than I could, I am sad to say!

I just want to thank so many of you for all your posts which has helped me choose this small but wonderful instrument.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ravi

Welcome to SGL, I know it can be cold but outside will give you better views, there is lots of turbulent air rising from the house which will distort you seeing.

Peter

Hi and welcome.

Pop up to to see us at TAC (link below) one Saturday.

thanks for the link. Amazed that there is an observatory within 50-55mins driving distance. Nearer from workplace at Bury. Will surely be visiting. Thanks

Hi RaviWelcome to SGL, I know it can be cold but outside will give you better views, there is lots of turbulent air rising from the house which will distort you seeing.Peter

Next time the sky is at least partially clear!

Today is cloudy but I thought I would try mounting my Canon SLR to the Celestron 102 SLT. T-piece/ mount fitted perfectly however the telescope just tips down under the weight of the camera! Google to find a solution but not successful ... Only suggestion I came across was to open the arm housing and tighten the vertical axis screw! Not sure about it. Would appreciate some suggestions.

Archived