SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

May 8, 2015: Another big mosaic

Wow that is impressive Michael and for me the last image is the most impressive. I have been thinking about having a crack at H alpha, can you tell me what equipment you are using although I have a sneaking feeling that this may be getting too expensive?

Thanks everyone!

Wow that is impressive Michael and for me the last image is the most impressive. I have been thinking about having a crack at H alpha, can you tell me what equipment you are using although I have a sneaking feeling that this may be getting too expensive?

I took these with my APM 80mm F/6 refractor, stopped down to 75mm with Thousand Oaks ERF, Baader TZ-4 tele-centric to reach F/25.6, and Solar Spectrum0.3Å H-alpha filter, using a ZWO ASI175MM camera. The Solar Spectrum filter is normally a rather expensive one, but I got it for a very decent price second-hand on ABS-UK. A Daystar Quark should be able to get similar results, although it has a slightly wider bandwidth than the Solar Spectrum filter.

Absolutely perfect!

I would love to know how the heck you manage to get the panes so even. Any time I do big mosaics (unless the conditions are perfect) I end up with variations of brightness and sharpness across the panes. In contrast, yours are seamless.

Archived