First eyepiece upgrades for 5" F8 Reflector

I'm getting back into visual astronomy after a long time away, and picked up a basic 127MM Celestron reflector (PowerSeeker), and I'm looking at upgrading the included (low-grade) eyepieces. So I need advice on the next step. I'm interested in a budget wide-field, and there's a LOT of options out there that are sub-TeleVue in price, so what do y'all think? I noticed Celestron offered a zoom eyepiece, so I don't know if that's a gimmick. Or The basic eyepiece sets in the $100.00+ dollar range, if they're a gimmick. Would my best bet be a Hyperion around 24mm? The Orion wide-fields?

Sure, I'd love an ethos, but I'd prefer not to have to take out a second mortgage for an eyepiece. I plan to make the jump to a 12" dobsonian by Summer's end, so eyepieces that could be useful on the little reflector and then the inevitable big dob would be an obvious plus.

So at that speed (F8) for the 5" reflector, what would be a good budget wide-field?

If the idea is a bigger scope in a relatively short time I will presume that the bigger scope means another round of eyepieces.

Zoom I do not know, they are a lot better but I think you will find the field of view narrow, I think they sacrifice FoV for performance.

I am going to take the "easy" oftion and follow a good budget eyepiece here. Look at the Astro-Tech Paradigms, around $60 and very good.

The field for those is 60 degrees, reasonable. They are to an extent an easy, safe and good option to suggest.

After that it is either the ES82's good but the max focal length is not high so the field you see is reduced owing to magnification.

Then the TV Delos, expensive for a 72 degree eyepiece but excellent performance.

Hyperons are good but they are reported as not good on fast scopes, and the later 12" will be fast so may not be transferable. The Paradigms will be good on a 12" at say f/4.5 area and you will have those at hand and useable the first night when the 12" arrives looking for a good home.

I may be bias as I have the completed set of them, and they are not leaving my possession. They look good as well. The set of Paradigms (6 of them) would suit the present scope well and you could pick them up one or two at a time - start with say 8mm and 25mm, then the remainder as required.

The Celestron X-Cels are similar in performance and cost to the Paradigms, as a possible alternative.

I think Astro-Tech have a 70 or 72 degree eyepiece out, but the cost is higher then I would have expected. They are manufactured by the same people that make the Paradigms - Barsta.

If you plan to upgrade your scope soon you should plan your eyepiece purchases around that scope. Consider the focal ratio carefully as a lot of EPs are disappointing at fast ratios. Tele Vues are expensive new but are said to work properly at f/4. They needn't be expensive either if you're willing to buy second hand. The TV plossls are excellent bargains but you may find their eyerelief a little short and the field of view a little narrow. You could consider Explore Scientific as Ronin mentioned, there really is a lot of choice, but don't forget to plan around your next scope.

I'm in the U.S. - I looked and maxvision seems to be a UK brand. I'll probably try the Paradigms as they have great reviews and are very reasonably priced. The 12" I want is  a 1525mm fl F5, so hopefully the "in the meantime" eyepieces will work OK in the faster scope when I get it. I still have to get my head around the F setting deal and how different eyepieces are effected by scope speed.

Archived