Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Dark skies

Fspp369

Hi everyone,

I'm new to SGL and have recently renewed my acquaintance with astronomy I live in FILLONGLEY in WARKS and it is pretty dark

I was thinking of being a host to an informal DSP. We can park about 12 cars and have a reasonable site at the top of a small hill on our land or if it gets poor underfoot then staying in the "yard" is an option.

What do peeps think of the idea?

Hi,

I know that area well, I used to live near there for a short while, but to be honest I would not class it as a dark site really, not with Birmingham about 20 miles away on one side Coventry close by and Leicester 20 miles away the other side, I think the light pollution would be fairly moderate at its best, especially for imaging low down on horizons, have you ever seen ant parts of the Milky Way in the depths of winter on a nice clear night?? That would give you some idea.

But having said all that, it's stil a nice idea and very generous of you to allow fellow stargazers onto your land, and if there is anyone nearby it would be a good chance for people with the same interests to get together.

:)

AB

Thank you, a few things to note

I think I used the phrase pretty dark......not dark site. Not to imply conditions .

Yes I have seen the Milky Way from my bedroom window.

It's a whole deal darker than the middle of any town/ city.

I have no problems with my c11/ hyperstar /mailincam if the night is up to it, but yes it would be nice to have clearer darker skies but it's better than a host of others, sometimes compromise tests competence and equipment to the limits.

The offer still stands, details may be ironed out later.

Hello Fspp and welcome.

I and another member used to gaze often nearby there a couple miles past Shustoke reservoir on what we thought was a layby but turned out to be private land.

One night we got to meet the owner who was fine with us gazing there but alas he had to fence his land off so gazing there had to stop.

The sky was pretty good especially if you looked away from the city center and another member who was with us one night reckoned she could see the MW right overhead.

I'm afraid i don't gaze any more only with the bins now and again,in fact this is my first post on here for quite a while,but am surprised you have had no takers of your kind offer.

Well, that's a very kind offer.  I would definitely be up for that.

I know it's not proper dark around there, and for the next three months it won't get fully dark anyway, but it's way better than being in the middle of the city.

• 2 months later...

Archived