Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Astronomy Books?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favourites is still Norton's Star Atlas. There are better reference books and better atlases but as a single volume guide to everything it's highly recommended.

Norton star atlas, another vote for Interstallarium and making every photon count

As a first source of reference, I turn to my Norton Star Atlas also, it is now looking a bit used and " tatty" after 41 years but still excellent.

....Lots of requests for Willmann-Bell's books. I just had a very positive phone conversation with Patricia at Willmann-Bell so watch this space.....

As I begin my 'Never buy from the US' life ...... this is EXCELLENT news. :)

Another vote for the (entire) Willmann-Bell catalogue. Having a European distributor at sensible prices would be fantastic. I have lots of their books on my wish list (and quite a few on my shelves) but the postage they charge is prohibitive so I tend to buy them when I find myself over in that neck of the woods. And they've recently started a new deep sky observer series ...

Martin

I agree fully having ordered the book written by Albert highe building portable newtonian telescopes. It was an arm and a leg but very helpful.

On the purely astronomy based TLAO is a great starter and then a decent atlas of which there are many.

Damian

I use " The Herschel 400 Observing guide" by Stephen James O'Meara, it's a very practical guide.

"Atlas of the Night Sky" by Storm Dunlop, especially for the Moon phases charts.

A great beginners manual, which is just packed is

"Stars and planets" by Ridpath and Tiron, a Collins pocket guide.

These in addition to PSA and a well thumbed and annotated Sissy Haas double star bible.

Returning to basics often revitalises even the old jaded performers out there !

Nick.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I can vouch for the Interstellarum Deep Sky atlas, a superb work. Will bring mine to Lucksall if anybody wants a look. Sorry FLO, didn't realise you stocked it, else would have bought from you. It was a surprise pressie from Julie.

Archived