Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Astronomy Books?

FLO is on a mission to find the best astronomy books   :book1:

We recently contacted Springer publishing and have chosen several of their most popular titles, they are the ones currently listed at our website but we have also contacted Cambridge University Press so more are in the pipeline. 

Our offering books on astronomy isn't likely to cause Amazon sleepless nights but our prices are competitive and all the books are in stock. 

Please take a look and let us know what you think. You might find some of the author's names familiar because a number of them post here at SGL  :icon_salut:

What is your favourite astronomy book? If there is a title you particularly recommend and would like to see available at FLO please let us know, we will be pleased to investigate. 

Steve 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We cannot discuss books without mentioning Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards, it is an excellent introduction to astrophotography and must surely be the book most often recommended by SGL members. For visual astronomey the title Turn Left at Orion is most popular and is published by Cambridge University Press so we will soon be listing that one. And for binocular astronomy it has to be Steve Tonkin's book Binocular Astronomy :smile:

My favourite textbook from university was/is Universe by Freedman and Kaufmann. More of how it all works than what to look at but great reading if the science of it is what you want to start taking an interest in rather than photography

For Astrophotography processing... a new updated edition.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-Astronomy-R-Scott-Ireland/dp/0943396913/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1430945731&sr=1-1&keywords=photoshop+astronomy

However, given the state of photoshop subscriptions now, I would consider PixInsight, still it is good to know how photoshop works, you can always apply mots to Gimp.

I think that it would be great to have books that we generally need to buy from the US - Such as the Willmann-Bell publishers that do the most wonderful Uranometria 2000.0 books. 

Steve I believe a quality star atlas is a must for anyone wanting to find DSOs, Double stars etc by star hopping rather than with a goto mount. The atlas Uranometria 2000.0 is such a quality atlas and is produced by Willmann-Bell publishers. Many members mention the Sky and Telescope 'Pocket Atlas' which I use with my Uranometria copies. Cambridge University Press produce an atlas to cover 'Double Stars' and the Herschel 400 list.

My favourite textbook from university was/is Universe by Freedman and Kaufmann. More of how it all works than what to look at but great reading if the science of it is what you want to start taking an interest in rather than photography

I was looking at that recently and the reviews seem to suggest avoiding the tenth edition. It appears to be riddled with printing errors which is bad enough, but printing errors where math symbols are being replaced with numbers. So recommended but go for a 9th edition not a 10th

One of my favourites is still Norton's Star Atlas. There are better reference books and better atlases but as a single volume guide to everything it's highly recommended.

Kriege & Berry's "The Dobsonian Telescope" is my favourite astro book.  However I'm currently enjoying Charles Bracken's "The Deep-Sky imaging primer" - which follows on from 'Making Every Photon Count'.  I got a copy after reading positive reviews on here.  

Second Moonshane's rec: Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders is a *great * book. I have found it so helpful, perhaps (gasp) even a bit better than TLAO, certainly as valuable a resource on my bookshelf.

And can I recommend Collins Gem Stars - a good little guide, ultra-pocketable and really cheap so highly accessible. Excellent for beginners/young people before they start amassing the 'chunky' more in -depth volumes :)

Same is true of Collins' Nature Guide series - Night Sky by Storm Dunlop is very handy, and again not a huge outlay so easily affordable with pocket money.

Would be good to stock some books etc for younger stargazers I think, alongside the 'heavies'...

And I'm still loving Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas, along with S&T's Pocket...

You've chosen well, FLO there are some excellent titles in there. I too would like to see some atlases in there and would highly recommend the 'Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas' published by Cambridge UP.

I think some US based publishers would be really good if it's possible as in the EU we really get stung for import duty on these things! I don't know how that works for retailers .... I assume it would increase the price somewhat from the US prices?

For sure. It's a tome, a textbook, but so approachable and the maths is optional and boxed off.  I love this book.

Olly

Archived