Helios Quantum 4 - 25 x 100 Binos on Astroboot

moriniboy

I'm tempted myself but these tend to be stopped down to 86mm due to the size of the prisms, and I already have some nice 15x85's.

You don't even need the B-masks to collimate them, you can just mount them and use a star to merge the two images, small adjustments either side, and keep checking the exit pupil shape to make sure its not going too out of round. 

Really good buy!

I've owned a pair of those, well the Telescope Services (TS) branded version anyway. They are very impressive but, they really do need a study and tall heavy duty mount to make viewing comfortable. Having owned the straight through ones I think I'd be looking for some fork mounted 45 or 90 degree ones if I went down that route again.

They can be picked up used for quite good prices, possibly because they are a sort of niche instrument - mine cost around £120 delivered I think and the collimation was fine on them.

That is so tempting! My only thought is why don't they just collimate it and then sell it for more?

Just because that's not how they work at Astroboot. They have enough to do sifting through a mountain of bits and bobs and no time to mess about 'bettering' things to chase a quid or two more.

Had dealings with them. Good people.

Just because that's not how they work at Astroboot. They have enough to do sifting through a mountain of bits and bobs and no time to mess about 'bettering' things to chase a quid or two more.

Had dealings with them. Good people.

Good point. Also, as I've posted above, I don't think they are being sold that cheap by Astroboot.

Archived