Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Hi all,

Thought we would share our image of Jupiter from the 6/4/15 ... this is the first time we have seen the Red Spot. We had spent ages trying to get pics with a Canon and tried the QHY5 camera we purchased as a guide scope to video it instead and then stacked the frames. It worked a treat ... still can't believe we got a pic of it after all this time! 4619964460.png

• Like 8

You can still get something decent with the 550D, just not as a photo, you have to use the 640x480 "video crop" mode (preferably while in NTSC mode so that it is 60fps instead of 50) and then stack it. But you will still be better off with the QHY, just giving you the option if you want to do planetary photography without a laptop.

• Like 1

Very nice result. How many frames did you stack. I am guessing from the slight noise that you could get even more detail by stacking more frames. Very good effort and a lot better than my first stacking effort on Jupiter.

• Like 1

Very nice result. How many frames did you stack. I am guessing from the slight noise that you could get even more detail by stacking more frames. Very good effort and a lot better than my first stacking effort on Jupiter.

Thanks :-) can't remember how many frames it was though ... I do know there was a slight accident though which meant we had less frames! The hard drive on the laptop we were using got full whilst imaging .... in a panic to delete things to clear space, the rest of the videos got deleted by accident ... dooohhhhh :-( We shall be trying again as soon as we can and hopefully improve on this one!

You can still get something decent with the 550D, just not as a photo, you have to use the 640x480 "video crop" mode (preferably while in NTSC mode so that it is 60fps instead of 50) and then stack it. But you will still be better off with the QHY, just giving you the option if you want to do planetary photography without a laptop.

Thanks, that sounds like a good option too. We had tried before but not got the same result, but we were new to videoing objects at the time, as we started into Astrophotography just doing single images ... so much to learn! Still on a learning curve though so any advice is greatly appreciated :-)

REALLY NICE IMAGE :)

looks amazing - haven't over-done processing either, great shot!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.