SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion SteadyPix Pro.

This product makes me want to kill myself.

Alright so I am not the person that is familiar with astrophotography through my scope so I have no idea if what I am doing.

( I understand i can modify a webcam to align in the diagonal but I am stuck with this for now )

So I just need some help. I am using an Ipod Touch to take photos with the Orion SteadyPix Universal Smartphone Mount. Nothing too professional no DSLR equipment. This is the bottom of the barrel. Now why the hell is it so difficult to align this with the field of view through any of my eyepieces? I literally am only able to get photos of the moon since its such a large object, But right when i move away from the moon and say try and look at Jupiter...Hell breaks loose and it looks like the object in showing through 1/4 of the eyepiece view. 

Sometimes when i first set the mount up and try to look at the moon simply, It shows that I am looking at a piece of the moon through a 40mm eyepiece as if it is zoomed up into the surface. But after 20 minutes of moving it around i finally get a full view of the moon. I have no clue why this happens.

It's a little hard to explain, Any suggestions?

I used a similar clamp for my old camera taking pictures through the eyepiece and always found it difficult. I also had a quickcam pro webcam for about a year before I used it for imaging and I wish I'd done it sooner! The sensor is small so you get a smaller field of view (zoomed in more) which made it possible to image planets fairly easily.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111466713763

Could your eyepiece or focuser locking screw be loose causing you view of the moon to change as something slips causing focus to change? Not really sure why that would happen.

What scope do you have?

Gary

I used a similar clamp for my old camera taking pictures through the eyepiece and always found it difficult. I also had a quickcam pro webcam for about a year before I used it for imaging and I wish I'd done it sooner! The sensor is small so you get a smaller field of view (zoomed in more) which made it possible to image planets fairly easily.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111466713763

Could your eyepiece or focuser locking screw be loose causing you view of the moon to change as something slips causing focus to change? Not really sure why that would happen.

What scope do you have?

Gary

I own a Mak-Cass telescope so because of this the mount has to hang on a star diagonal. I am not sure if its the star diagonal causing the problem but it shouldn't be. Also after countless attempts I tighten it so there is absolutely no movement. Yet changing to another object is nearly impossible. 

I think I actually should invest in a camera. I have been looking at these ASI Cameras but i think i should begin with something more cheap to start off with. Are there possibly any good cheap webcams that will work with that adapter you provided?

Archived