Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Balancing Skywatcher 80ED Pro on AVX mount

HI

AS VERY new to Equatorial mounts, just 'practicing' setting up my AVX mount with SW 80.

The scope is as far forward on the dovetail and the rings as it will go but with the camera and focal reducer attached its needs around 800 g set roughly on the rear of the dew shield to achieve balance.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

When I have my ED80 on my AVX with a Canon+Focal Reducer+Orion Guide scope+QHY5 guide camera my set up is balanced when 1 counterweight is 8" from the end of the bar. The end of the dovetail is just forward of the end of the slot. Only 1 counterweight used.

Peter

Hi,

With my ED80 + Nikon DSLR + Focal reducer/field flattener + Autofocuser + Finder Guider I made up a sliding weight unit for DEC balancing, mounted on the dovetail bar on the mount side to minimise differential balance... RA balance is achieved using a single counterweight.

The 2 sliding weights are around 600grams each.

Another way is to use a longer dovetail bar and mount the scope with the focuser ahead of the mount... I could not do this as my autofocuser fouled on the dovetail... also the DSLR in some orientations.

post-28928-0-20357200-1430836991_thumb.j

post-28928-0-57185800-1430837093_thumb.j

Keep Happy.

Sandy. :grin:

Thank you for your replies.

The camera + reducer is in place of the diagonal. It is the DEC that is out of balance; RA is fine with the counter-weight.

My idea in the short term is to have a semi-circle of sheet lead covered neatly with plastic, and velcro this to the dew shield so it can be easily removed.

Just waiting for my modified D1200 to arrive to get the right weight

My set up sounds very similar to yours and I don't need a Dec counterweight. It balances with the rear of the dovetail just forward of the back of the mounting slot. I left the rings where they were so that it fits nicely in the case.

Peter

Archived