SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Am i too old to start?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If my paper calculation is near, you're some 3 Galatical seconds old :grin: So no, I wouldn't say you're too old to start.

Like so much in life, growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional :hello2: 

I'm happy to see you getting such a warm, encouraging welcome from the younger members of this forum, Lee.  I just bought my first telescope at the age of 75.  As I move nearer to heaven it seems a very attractive idea to check the real estate before I get there!  When I was 25 space exploration had just started, and now look how far we have progressed.  What wonders you shall have seen by the time you're my age.  Seize the moment and never let go.

look at it this way; observing is a pleasure, an interest and maybe for some, a passion.  In other words, the experience.  

I see 'astronomy' as another language to learn; with the technical terms, the jargon of electronics/computers, concepts explored by physics etc.

If you visit other fora you shall see many convoluted conversations - some leading to misunderstandings - this is where language becomes difficult.  But...

that same language of astronomy has brought many of us here to share, to learn and to enjoy both, our achievements as well as those of others.

I think too that for many of us the interest/passion/hobby whatever you wish to call it, has brought something out in us as well.  Values. talents, skills and so on which

reflect aspects of our selves which otherwise possibly wouldn't get much airing in today's society.

OK enough philosophy!  Welcome!

michael

I'm 25 now and i want to start again, not just stare into the deep sky, do it with a knowledge that i can pass on to someone else someday. But sometimes i feel too anxious because i feel like i'm too old to start, and that i wont have enough time.

Certainly not too old !!!

Sounds like someone in your life has been trying to condition you into feeling entirely the wrong way about yourself and life in general :(

As others have said, it's never too old to start, infact, never too old to start any interest in life you may have in years to come. So best never to think like that ever again SilientLee.

Infact, quite the opposite, because by starting and taking new paths as you go through life can often make the whole experience far more interesting than it otherwise would be if you were to do the same old thing day in day out.

There's an awful lot of magic going on out there in the cosmos we have no knowledge about what so ever, things we have yet to begin to imagine or comprehend, things that will require the entire life time of a planet like Earth to even begin to see through our self inflicted blinkered view of the universe.

We need your help :)

Hey SilentLee 25 years old is not old at all :-) You go and make the opportunity to do something you have always wanted to do! Don't know the status of astronomy clubs where you are but Stargazers Lounge is certainly the place to ask questions and get great help and advice if you need it. Every best wish to you on your journey with astronomy. Ad Astra!

Cheers,

Steve

If you notice, the majority of members here are *mirrored* your age or older. (25//52)

Sounds like someone in your life has been trying to condition you into feeling entirely the wrong way about yourself and life in general :(

I totally agree. Most people I know around your age are 'livin the life'. Their enjoying themselves or/and are working hard but earning heavily like there's no tomorrow .

And you're sound like that you're too late and can't do anything because there's no tomorrow. (notice the difference)

I was in a somewhat same position as you and if there's someone in your life has been trying to condition you into feeling entirely the wrong way about yourself (you most likely know him/her), get away from that person. Chances are that the person is jealous of you and/or trying to make use of you & your current feelings.

Okay you may don't want to get away from that person, because he/she is important or close to you. You can just get distant bit by bit (like getting less dependent on that person).

Here is where you can use your new hobby, astronomy. Eventually you'll get closer to the hobby and meet you new best friend, the sky. The sky will never do harm to you & will show you how to appreciate life.

I hope you don't feel rude because I'm advising you and I'm only 15.

Anyway, welcome to the new hobby and the forum! You'll never get bored here, I assure you. ;)

Greetings SilentLee and welcome to SGL. Are you too old to embark on an an amazing journey? I think not since youth is simply a state of mind. This hobby is challanging and requires a lot of dedication but if you're willing to stick with it, your age should not be a factor at all...  :)

I'm 25 now and i want to start again, not just stare into the deep sky, do it with a knowledge that i can pass on to someone else someday. But sometimes i feel too anxious because i feel like i'm too old to start, and that i wont have enough time.

25! I thought this was building up to 75 or something- are you trying make all feel old and decrepit? 

EDIT- if it helps your decision I came back to astronomy after a 25 year marriage/kids/career gap (the "won't have enough time" bit you're referring to) at the ripe old of 45.

You're only a youngster, I didn't get involved until after retirement. 

Go for it and welcome to the forum, the best place to come when you need help.

Good luck and enjoy this wonderful hobby.

Second time around for me too. As four like minded 11 year old (ish) school mates we formed the village astronomy club and, you guessed it, it remained that way, just us four gathered round the privileged ones Charles Frank four inch reflector. A year or two on and other passions and school work of course took over.

50 years on, the astronomy bug bit again and here we are.

A very warm welcome to the forum.

You're never too old to start enjoying the night sky. I was eighteen when the astro bug really bit me and I'm now fifty three. I personally know astronomers who are in their eighties and who still live for the hobby.

My advice, for what its worth, is to throw yourself into astronomy if its in your heart to do so.

Mike :-)

Archived