SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Am i too old to start?

I've always been fascinated by the night sky. Eversince i can remeber, i used to go out in the night and just gaze deep into the infinite universe.

As a huge night owl myself, i find extreme happiness just by being out in the night, sometimes it's just a walk in the street, staring at faintly lit skyscrapers, but nothing makes me happier than the night sky.

I was involved in a couple of astronomy clubs as a kid but they weren't very active. I still remember this one observing camp i attended during school but i would give anything to go back, the ambiance that i experienced, nothing can come close.

I'm 25 now and i want to start again, not just stare into the deep sky, do it with a knowledge that i can pass on to someone else someday. But sometimes i feel too anxious because i feel like i'm too old to start, and that i wont have enough time.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you will find that most people on this site are considerably older than you!  I didn't restart my astronomical career until I was 68.

Hi there

Having just bought myself my first telescope at the age of 40, I'd say you're never too old to learn. I'm 99.99% sure I'll never start a PhD in Astrophysics, but  that doesn't matter because I really enjoy my 'scope and there's something really fun in learning. While I doubt any experience you could have would come close to that sense of wonder you have as a child when you discover something, anything, new, but having spent an hour watching Jupiter in my beginner's scope a few weeks ago, felt pretty close.  

I also have just started, i got my first scope 6 months ago. Im also in my 40s and i am really enjoying learning the night sky, loads of fantastic advice on here and help is never far away.

al

Too old at 25? You're joking right :)

Never too old to start, i started much later than that, I wont say what age :) but never looked back. You're not competing against anyone so its all at your own pace and fun, go for it.

Rob

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Hey SilentLee. Pretty much the same age as me when I got my first scope. I think it's a great age to get going, generally got a bit more cash for some gear and no bedtime curfews!

25? 25? Twent-blooming-five? Thou art nought but a bairn. I am 62, and only got my first scope two years ago, despite having been entranced by the night sky since I was four (so my parents tell me). I'm having a great time, and am delighting in passing on my enthusiasm to my grandchildren.

Get stuck in, and enjoy it!

Same story, astronomy club at school and since then apart from the odd glance up, nothing until my latest birthday present turned out to be a telescope. 40 last week! Joined SGL 2 days ago, certainly don't feel too old! The welcome here has been amazing and so welcome to you too! Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the best Astro forum on planet Earth.

Astronomy is almost as old as civilisation itself.

The Andromeda galaxy, is visible to your naked eye, and it's light took 2.4 million years to reach

your eye. 25 years is but a micro second time wise, and of no consequence at all.

There are amateur astronomers aged 5 to 99 years old, so please go ahead, and do your thing,

whatever it is that interests you.

You can be assured that the good members of SGL, will encourage and help you in whatever you do.

As for observing the the night sky, your naked eye is an adequate observing tool.

Binoculars are another popular way to scan the star fields of our Milky Way.

many interesting objects can be seen with a nice pair of Bino's.

Telescopes vary enormously, and the decision to buy one needs careful thought.

Help in choosing can be given, but you will need to disclose the budget you have.

Also, the kind of interest you have, such as Deep Sky, Planets and Lunar.

Enjoy your stay, and best wishes in the pursuit of your Astronomy interests.

Ron.

Most of us here are so old that the Hubble Space Telescope can still see us being born in a distant part of the universe.

At 25 you are but a glint in the eye of a planetary nebula - welcome to SGL and the wonderful world of astronomy :wink:

Archived