Narrowband

Selling Stuff

Radders

Hi, not sure if this is the right part of the forum so mods feel free to move if not but I have a couple of items to sell in the classified section but was wondering what is the safest way? Bank transfer, or Pay Pal?

Thanks.

Most people use either one or the other. They are both safe if used properly.

The astro community tends to be safe and honest anyway so which ever you choose you'll be fine.

Most people use either one or the other. They are both safe if used properly.

The astro community tends to be safe and honest anyway so which ever you choose you'll be fine.

... And especially those in the astro community who are also SGL members. Apart from anything else, we know who they are!

I use all the methods available to be honest. Do your homework, Google is your friend as is the astro community. You can always ask on here if you are concerned about any potential buyer,  i have bought and sold things as far away South Africa and only been stung once.

Paypal or BT for me, works very well.

Just do the sensible things if you don't know the buyer like getting personal details or speaking on the phone. This soon puts off any scammers

I only sell stuff within the UK unless it is to an SGL member who is frequently active. I would avoid cheating with the PayPal  'gift scheme' - no protection and not in the spirit of the scheme. Bank transfer also works well and although it might feel uncomfortable giving your bank account details to a stranger, that's exactly what you do (did) whenever you pay (paid) by cheque!

Personally I only use Paypal as this means I don't have to give out my bank details. The disadvantages are the buyer could claim a charge back and there is a 3% handling fee.

No fee if your buyer 'sends' money,surely? As in to family or friends?

Or are we strictly speaking of 'business' to invoke seller (or buyer )protection?

The only time I ever had a problem was when I placed a wanted ad on ABS. A scammer from Sweden replied with exactly what I was after, but he was relatively easy to spot after some email conversations

I'd go with PP as in the past there have been times when intermediary banks have charged fees which I wasn't advised about.

BTW most of my purchases on line are from o/s sources and in the years of buying internationally only one has never reached me (from a German eBayer)

possibly a postage issue.

Another interesting transaction was when I was advised by a German Consumer Organisation that my attempt to pay for an item was being made to a seller

who was under investigation - needless to say the sale didn't go through!

michael

The only time I ever had a problem was when I placed a wanted ad on ABS. A scammer from Sweden replied with exactly what I was after, but he was relatively easy to spot after some email conversations

These scams are quite easy to spot. The start of the e.mail usually goes something like:

"Hello,

I am very enthusiastic and interested in your Skywatcher EQ6 Mount with Synscan upgrade, some marks on tripod legs collection only please and would like to make necessary arrangements for carriage and payment with your good self at the earliest convenience ...."

I've had a couple of responses like this to "wanted" adverts over the years but otherwise many successful and pleasant transactions funded through Paypal, BT and sometimes good old cash on collection.

Yes, I've had probably over one hundred transactions and only one problem. It was easy to spot with just normal checks though. I do think placing wanted ads on ABS is probably higher risk than responding to ads placed. It's very tempting when someone offers you exactly what you are after!

Archived