Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st observation ever....

I am writing this (without knowing if this is the right place to post it) to share my experience with you guys who have never gazed through a telescope before. 

Well  at April 30th  I got a 60mm refractor as a present for my imminent birthday. I was going to raise a lot of money and get a Skywatcher Skyliner 150p.

I got to tell you, I wasn't so happy I got it at first, cause I thought "It won't do anything remarkable" and the next day which wasn't cloudy (Oh the only freaking day without clouds!) I gave it a try. At first I pointed my scope to Venus. I was awed. I was seeing a grey-beige disc shining in my little refractor. I knew what to expect (I thought I wouldn't be able to see it so well) and I was surprised. I kept looking at it for an hour or so. Then I got to look at some stars, and then at jupiter. I was a bit dissapointed cause the colour was the same with Venus (xD). I then looked at the moon which I thought won't be interestin and I saw some craters and a little white point on it. And that was my 3 hour session, 9-12. 

I have to tell you, I live in a heavily light polluted city. But I was able to see Venus and Jupiter quite well. I think I saw the cloud bands of Jupiter and maybe a shadow of one of the Galilean moons. I caught myself thinking "Well, I guess it was ok", "I'm not impressed". Still when it's 8pm,something keeps me wanna grab my scope and get on the rooftop. It's a strange, inevitable call of my curiosity and I can now reassure you, that once you gaze upon the moon or our neighbour planets you will keep getting that call every night. It's something like an instict. It's awesome...

A big truth that I can now understand and confirm is that no picture of planets, nebulas, clusters and galaxies, you have seen can substitute your own experience of viewing and the image you get too. And it's pretty awesome cause you ain't gonna get nice images and views (well not like Hubble's images) through a telescope, especially of small apperture. Don't get frustrated, start with a small scope and explore the beauty of our Universe with all the help you can get from SGL,the net,libraries and of course your EP/filters/barlows kit.

P.S: It's so cloudy here. Hell, I'm getting out there!

Cheers and Clear and dark Skies Everyone (I can now understant that too :embarassed:  :embarassed:  :embarassed:  :embarassed:  :embarassed: )

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on your first observing session! As you get to learn the night sky and all it has to offer I'm sure you will be very happy with your scope. Have a look at the Great Globular Cluster (M13) in Hercules; it's really a 'WOW' moment the first time you see it.

Good luck with your new scope and happy observing.

As my signature reveals, I have several scopes. Including a 80mm f5 refractor. And it's a wonderful thing! I don't have a favorite - each can reveal enough of our Universe to keep me busy for life.

"Aperture-Fever" can be a terrible thing - feeling that if you could get a larger scope, you'd feel great! But the reality is that you can spend a great deal of time & pleasure using any scope you have! And don't worry. Saturn's rings are fine & well and told me to tell you: "We'll wait for you!"

Keep Going!

Dave

That's a nice report, as Dave above says, they will still be there. Also give your eyes a chance to observe and stay with an object for a while especially if you think the conditions are poor. If the conditions are poor stick to low power too the last thing you need to do is to multiply haze.

And like Dave I have multiple scopes, but your best scope is the one you use most and my first scope too was also a 60mm refractor.

Thanks for all your remarks guys! I will keep trying. M13 was hard yesterday, damn clouds (and light pollution)! I think I'm into this. Hope I had more time to spend on night observations...

Summer is coming and my portable refractor and I will get closer and closer with each passing day. I will learn how to allign the finder scope, I will learn what's the use of the little metal nob on the side and I will discover that mocking M13 who dares to escape my restless eye!

Me and my scope (I will name it "Refracto") on an endless journey to the Universe tu-duh-da!

Geek level: Over 9000

Great stuff.

I don't think you can ever beat the anticipation you get when you're ready to observe, whether it's the first time or the thousandth.

As you wait and that sky gets darker and darker. The first stars start to peep out. Awesome! Here we go :headbang:

Great stuff.

I don't think you can ever beat the anticipation you get when you're ready to observe, whether it's the first time or the thousandth.

As you wait and that sky gets darker and darker. The first stars start to peep out. Awesome! Here we go :headbang:

Then the clouds roll in.

No clouds today! However I ain't gonna find no great cluster at Hercules. Damn Moon and LP. Can't see the damn thing. I can't make the stars actually...

I saw 1 moon on Jupiter. Saturn had rings today but was way to small so I couldn't see any difference between the planet and the rings.

Moon looked nice, seen the pollar cap and that little white thing on the right edge. Nice craters on the edges. Observed last for 10 minutes.

My only hope is to go to my village in summer. There I might actually have a hope of finding DSO's and seeing some freaking detail maybe. :p

Hi Tzitzis,

It is great to read from someone who is as enthusiastic as you obviously are.

Can you tell us what eyepieces you are using?

If you can save up for that Skywatcher 150P I am sure you will notice a big difference in what you can see on the Moon and planets.

Welcome to astronomy and to SGL - it is good to have you here :smile:

Are you sure you are looking at Hercules?

Look directly east and you will see a very bright star (Vega) and just to the right and slightly higher in the sky is Hercules. The Moon is much further west (to the right) of where you should be looking.

That said, the Moon is so bright at the moment that you will struggle to see M13 at this time, especially in a small telescope.

Put in your 20mm eyepiece and try to find M13 in Hercules. It will look like a small fuzzy star. But once you have found it you will know where to look once the Moon has gone and you can try your higher power eyepieces :wink:

I can't stay up all night :(

And  yes I am looking at hercules. M13 is between Alpheca of Corona Boralis and Vega. Almost in the middle.... Can't see the damn thing  ;(

Have a look to the right of Proclus to see the two craters in the Mare Crisium: Stewart and....damn, forget (the perils of a damn fine cocktail or three!)

Then have a look at Macrobius with that little crater impacted on its rim....It's a nice little area around Proclus!

The Moon always rewards. To see such detail on another world...While I *love* seeing a

cluster or a faint fuzzy, the lunar riches never fail to drop my puny jaw :)

Needless to say, I absolutely share your enthusiasm...ain't it grand :D

I know the feeling, you spend a few hours observing, getting great views of planets and the moon and little success with DSO's, you go in thinking you've had your fill and maybe you're not that excited. Only to get up the next day and pour over weather reports looking for a clear upcoming evening, scan ebay for anything you can talk yourself into buying for your scope and reading about targets and how to find them amongst the constellations. I love having a clear, calm afternoon, getting the scope out in the garden and observing from the moment I can spot the planets with my naked eye. Also Buy yourself a moon map and have a go at finding some of the targets on there (of which there are hundreds).

Aperture fever is pretty bad I guess. If I were saving up and planning to but a 150mm I would already be looking at prices for a 200 or 250, just as a comparison of course!

Archived