Buckie Man now in the building!

buckiebill

Hi there. I am Bill, known by friends and other alike as "Buckie Bill"; not for my love of a well known Central Belt beverage of choice, nay, "de rigeur", but for my ancestry being in the direction of God's Own county, Banffshire. The fishing town of Buckie is there and hence my Moniker. I was greatly interested in astronomy in my youth but due to that perennial, old chestnut, lack of finance, was unable to pursue my early designs and lost touch with the cosmos. Drink and young ladies did also have an effect, I believe. Anyway, now I have time and a little more in the way of finance, I have regained my desire to learn more. In fact I really want to travel to the Southern hemisphere to experience what can be seen from that viewpoint. I have had limited astro exposure while on holiday to Italy France and briefly, Dubai, but I only had my eyes in the last named, no binos even. I've bored you enough I'm sure but, in the immortal words of Douglas McArthur "I will return!". :cool:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all for the glowing welcomes you have posted. I don't have a solo agenda, but I will be frank; I came across SL in my quest to find somewhere in Nearer Europe, say Southern Spain or Portugal where I can source a residential Astro holiday, without exposing my larger pieces to the vagaries of the Airport Luggage system. I have tried COAA'S excellent site, but i am travelling on my own and the only accommodation which suits my time is for a 4 x berth unit. The other recommendations I have Googled are sadly, out of date, from around 2009 or even older. Can any of you guys assist. I would even put up with a non alcoholic monastery, although I can appreciate that such a place is unlikely, given the prevalence of Buckfast and Belgian Beers! 

Oa-a-kay ... You come from Banffshire and live 'SW Glasgow'. That's a shame as far as dark skies go, I would think.

Then again, not sure if you're only looking for a holiday howff or to correspond about astronomy and the night sky.

Welcome, Bill. Tell us more. I, for one, am intrigued ...

Hi Bill & Welcome to SGL.  One of the SGL members, Olly Penrice  has a place in the South of France - Les Granges where you can have a Astro Holiday.  Read some great reviews about it.

Hi Bill, and a very warm welcome to the star-crazy gang. I really hope you enjoy the expansion of your astronomy and hope you have a great time with your new friends on this wonderful forum.

All the best

Bob

Archived