Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New camera and upgraded scope

So, I've just taken delivery of a Skywatcher 200P and waiting on an EOS 1000 to arrive. I'd like to image something not too hard as a first target just to get an idea. What would you recommends? This is my first time with a DSLR.

Thanks,

Steve

Moon or M3...  If you are anything like me, it will take a long time to work out how to set the scope up. Then doing polar alignment, which is not only tricky but also challenging to the old grey cells... then there is learning to use the camera etc etc. So don't worry if it it takes a little while to get going with imaging.

In my experience, this is challenging, frustrating and rewarding in equal measure. I didn't realise how much of a learning curve was involved when I got my Scope last year!

Tim. 

Another vote for M3 as a DSO, you will also need either a laptop to run APT or a Intervolmeter to select image length, and how many to take, so your not touching the DSLR or even near the tripod legs.....

one of these works well....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Shutter-Release-Hasselblad-PowerShot/dp/B004FKYBJM/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430643173&sr=1-8&keywords=remote+shutter+canon+1000d

Stevie , the lunar surface is quite the treat. I've tried the point n shoot , piggyback and ep projection and nothing gave me the results  that "  Video Astronomy " has with a usb web cam. By far the easiest way to view and image our solar system objects. I started 2 yrs. ago and have enjoyed the ride, now I'm trying for a good planetary capture which is proving to be a large step up the ladder.

Thanks for the replies. The mount is an EQ5. I've had a few goes with the webcam already which I really enjoyed. I'd like to get a full shot of the moon now. I'll post my attempts when the camera gets here.

Thanks for the replies. The mount is an EQ5. I've had a few goes with the webcam already which I really enjoyed. I'd like to get a full shot of the moon now. I'll post my attempts when the camera gets here.

No amount of advice will beat trying it out for yourself.

Have fun! :)

Open clusters are a good starting point. You can use fairly short exposures and focal lengths and start to learn about all the things that can cause oval stars.

Archived